What's new

Any rum snobs?

Is it just me or does Zaya have an orange flavour to it. Good stuff but different than what you expect in a sipping rum.

This is a summary of some of the rums mentioned in this thread (sorry for leaving some out). I personally have had Mount Gay and Eldorado and have they are both great.

Ron Zacapa
Plantation Barbados
Appleton Estate 21 yr
Zaya 12 yr
Eldorado 12 yr
Mount Gay XO / Eclipse / Black barrel
DIPLOMATICO RESERVA EXCLUSIVA RUM
Alnwick Rum
Havana Club Barrel Proof
Flor de Cana 7 or 18 Year
Pusser's
Coruba
Kohala Bay
Ron Barrilito
Ron Millionario 15 and XO
Papas Piller
Prichard's Private Stock
Bacardi Oakheart
Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva 15
Zafra
Goslings Back Seal
Sailor Jerry

Last edited:
Definitely not a rum snob but I do love English Harbour Antigua Rum (5 years old) it's really very good, comes in at £25 a bottle here but if my Mum and Dad go back to Antiqua at some point it's closer to £12 a bottle :p

Okay, I had to bump this thread - just got back from vacation in Newport beach where I finally found a bottle of Diplomatico Reserva Rum... (which is not available in Arizona... WTH) talk about delicious, and zero burn... it was almost like drinking a butterscotch candy!

I can honestly say this is my new favorite sipping rum... now if I can only figure out how to get bottles shipped to AZ!

Okay, I had to bump this thread - just got back from vacation in Newport beach where I finally found a bottle of Diplomatico Reserva Rum... (which is not available in Arizona... WTH) talk about delicious, and zero burn... it was almost like drinking a butterscotch candy!

I can honestly say this is my new favorite sipping rum... now if I can only figure out how to get bottles shipped to AZ!
It is one mighty fine rum. Glad you scored a bottle since you can't get it in AZ.

I come from a family of rum drinkers and I'm the weird one that prefers whiskey, but I've found bourbon to be a mid point between whiskey and rum.

Zacapa, Pyrat, Abuelo 12 year, Pampeiro, Barbancourt are all good. I've recently discovered Papa's Pilar which is amazing. It's aged in whiskey barrels so it's a rum with whiskey undertones.

In PR my family drinks Barrilito 3 star, but its double the price here on the mainland, so we don't drink it at home.

So I've really really been enjoying the Diplomatico Exclusive Reserva rum. Any thoughts as to what I should look to next to expand my view of rum?

This weekend - it's Mount Gay Black Barrel. The first time I had it I thought it was smokey tasting for a rum - but it is really smooth.

Last edited:
Hey Gents, aside from Bacardi, what is your go to white rum for mixing. I'm thinking for a classic daiquiri.

Hey Gents, aside from Bacardi, what is your go to white rum for mixing. I'm thinking for a classic daiquiri.
Almost anything. A month or so ago I was working on my white rum and my wife wanted to compare it to bacardi. Let's just say we now have a bottle that we won't even give to friends. The bacardi was so bad she could not even drink it.
Our preferred rum is plantation or one barrel if we can find it. Raileans make good rum if you are in Texas. If you are ever in San Francisco check out smugglers cove, a fine rum bar.

Last edited:
I am really liking Mount Gay Black Barrel; mixed with coke or on the rocks with a twist of lime. That's what I will be drinking tonight.

Last edited:
I've been looking for a white rum to mix, especially classic daiquiris. I bought this yesterday. Has anybody here had a go with El Dorado 3 year?
View attachment 692797

No experience with the El Dorado white. Their 21 year old aged rum is fantastic though. Best white rum I have ever had is Havana Club silver. Haven't found it in Canada for years though. Seemed to taste even better in Cuba though.. wonder why?!?!... HA HA.

Top Bottom