What's new

Shoes

V

VR6ofpain

Where are you? AE has stores thought out the country. I suggest you visit them to get a fitting. Once you have the right size and width you should be okay to buy on line for less. However with better shoes they are designed with different lasts. (Definition: The form on which a shoe is constructed - resulting in the inside shape of the shoe. Lasts may be straight, curved or semi-curved. In construction, shoes may be board lasted, slip lasted or combi-lasted) At AE they have about 10 different lasts, (I did my homework before making the investment) so it’s best to try them on. Nordstrom’s carries most sizes but not all widths in their stores. They would have a D and EEE, so if you needed an E or EE you have to order them. I know the Nordstrom’s near me in NYC (Long Island Store) they have a certified shoe fitter, so ask for him/her and get sized correctly. You will be surprised how many people are not sized correctly. Okay now it’s out my hobbies are shaving, shoes and ties.
He said English made, i.e. Church. Allen Edmonds are American made shoes.
But isn't buying clothes/shoes online a risky thing? I mean I know you can return them and all, but I would think you really need to be in the store for the fit. I buy a lot online, but clothes and such always makes me nervous.
This is true. I tried some on at Nordstrom's during a promotional sale and had to buy them (they are that comfortable...and the build is incredible). So I knew what size I was in their shoes (though it is is the same size I am in pretty much all brands). So I was more comfortable buying online. All pairs I have purchased online fit like a glove. So hey, try some one at a department store to get your size, then buy online.

He said English made, i.e. Church.

I was asking where they could be found in the US, yes.

Anyhow, I ended up buying a pair of Allen-Edmond Evanston shoes in walnut. They're a bit lighter than they appear in the picture. Beautiful shoes. I looked around online a bit and didn't see any amazing deals in my size so I bought them in person at Nordstroms.

Thanks for all the advice. I can't wait until I have to replace my black shoes. Assuming I can wait that long.

One last question: how often do you polish your shoes? I usually wait until they look like they need it, but maybe that's too long?

I was asking where they could be found in the US, yes.

Anyhow, I ended up buying a pair of Allen-Edmond Evanston shoes in walnut. They're a bit lighter than they appear in the picture. Beautiful shoes. I looked around online a bit and didn't see any amazing deals in my size so I bought them in person at Nordstroms.

Thanks for all the advice. I can't wait until I have to replace my black shoes. Assuming I can wait that long.

One last question: how often do you polish your shoes? I usually wait until they look like they need it, but maybe that's too long?

Well with black I would say right away before wearing them. With your new shoes you will darken them even if you use the correct AE cream/polish.
Its a call you would need to make. I have the Clifton's and they darkened quite a bit- but it goes against my upbringing to leave the house without my shoes shined. Congratulations on your purchase.

I bought the AE chestnut polish. It was the closest they had. AE doesn't offer their polish in walnut. I don't mind if they darken a bit. I'd rather have them protected, honestly.

I guess I should feel bad. I only polish my boots about once a year. Haha.

I only have a basic Kiwi brand shine kit. Any advice on must haves to add to the kit?

I bought the AE chestnut polish. It was the closest they had. AE doesn't offer their polish in walnut. I don't mind if they darken a bit. I'd rather have them protected, honestly.

I guess I should feel bad. I only polish my boots about once a year. Haha.

I only have a basic Kiwi brand shine kit. Any advice on must haves to add to the kit?

Congratulations on your fine purchase. Remember the old Acquisition Disorder, I am guilty when it comes to Allen Edmonds.
# 1 must have is a pair of cedar shoe trees. The ones Nordstrom’s sells are made by Woodlore,(owned by Allen Edmonds) and are a deal at $19.99. If you buy them directory from AE they will cost $30.00.
#2 If they have leather soles you should get taps put on. You will begin to love them and want to wear them everyday however don’t wear them in the rain, get a AE pair with rubber soles for that.
About having them polished. I always rotate my shoes and rarely wear a show more than twice a week. I usually drop by the shoe maker for a shine about once a month per shoe. However if by chance they don’t have a high shine I will bring them in ASAP. I am sorry to say that I don’t shine my shoes myself, that’s my next project.

I do have shoe trees.

Taps? What are taps?

If your routine works then why change it? I don't much like shining shoes. I do my boots (rarely as mentioned) and used to do shoes for my dad. I don't much find pleasure in the activity. Not to mention I'm nervous about ruining a very nice pair of shoes.

I own two pairs of dress shoes. I'd like to add a second pair of black, but that can wait. Never really been a shoe horse. I think I own 6 pairs of shoes total. Quite a lot for me actually.

I do have shoe trees.

Taps? What are taps?

If your routine works then why change it? I don't much like shining shoes. I do my boots (rarely as mentioned) and used to do shoes for my dad. I don't much find pleasure in the activity. Not to mention I'm nervous about ruining a very nice pair of shoes.

I own two pairs of dress shoes. I'd like to add a second pair of black, but that can wait. Never really been a shoe horse. I think I own 6 pairs of shoes total. Quite a lot for me actually.

Taps are little rubber (sometimes metal, but stick with rubber since metal can scratch floors) tips nailed into the toe and heel of good shoes to postpone the gradual wearing out process that comes with normal use. They are very cheap. My shoemaker charges about $3 per pair and I have them replaced when worn out, about every six months. These are great if you wear out your heels like I do.

Definetly not what I thought. I thought maybe you meant metal bits so you could dance your way to work. I mean... you do have Sinatra as your avatar. ;)

On the rare occasions that I actually wear the type of shoes you are wanting, I have a few pairs of , UK made, Dr. Martens. They are comfortable and using Kiwi polish, water, and a clean strip of cotton I can put a shine on them that would make a Marine DI jealous!!

I own a pair of Dr. Marten 10 hole boots. The only boots I've bought/worn for almost 20yrs. Love them. Their shoes... not as much a fan.

I own a pair of Dr. Marten 10 hole boots. The only boots I've bought/worn for almost 20yrs. Love them. Their shoes... not as much a fan.

I should have clarified that point. I currently own 8, 10, and 14 eye DM's (all straight laced w/ white laces). The 14 hole are my favorite simply because they are the original oxbloods. I wish they would bring that color back, and BRING PRODUCTION BACK TO THE UK!!! The new boots that are being made in China are a poor substitute for the UK made DM's.

They aren't making oxblood anymore? What the heck? I used to love that color. My current pair are black and I've kept them beyond their needing to be replaced. The soles are totally trashed. It would be nice if they weren't made in China. I agree with that, though I believe some are still made in the UK.

By the way... why white laces? That usually isn't exactly a friendly message.

Definetly not what I thought. I thought maybe you meant metal bits so you could dance your way to work. I mean... you do have Sinatra as your avatar. ;)

Yes, my avatar is the new Sinatra Stamp issued by the US Postal service last week to pay tribute to Frank on the 10 anniversary of his passing. May 14, 1998.

By the way... why white laces? That usually isn't exactly a friendly message.

Do not get the message confused with that of the Red laces. The white laces are simply a subtle display of pride for my heritage. Please do not take this the wrong way, but I think it is a shame that society deems it unacceptable for a white man to be proud of his heritage and culture. I am not saying anything derogatory about any other race or religion. Black, white, brown, yellow, christian, jewish, buddist, or a hot pink aethiest eskimo with big feet, you should be proud to be who you are, and not be afraid to stand up and say as much. I am a short (5'6") white dude. And I am proud of who I am. That is all it is fella.:001_smile

White = White pride/traditionalist

Red = Neo-Nazi/National Front/racist

Blue = Killed a cop.

Yellow = Worn by SHARPs/anti-racist (SHARP= Skin-Heads Agaist Racial Prejudice)

Green = Neutral/non-racist

Black = Traditionalist skin, punk kid, neutral, or wearing the laces the boots were sold with!!

Black + White = Two Tone/into ska or racial unity

Plaid = Non-racist/neutral

I know what the colors mean. White was interchangeable with red where I grew up. Plenty of skins around to notice. They didn't care much about your color chart. Heh.

Nothing wrong with being proud of who you are. Just be aware that others might misinterpret the message. I'm caucasian I guess (Irish/Italian). I actually find being called white offensive so... to each their own. I personally don't want all the negative connotations it comes with. Deserved or not. Maybe it's a bit different for me as my families have only been here for a few generations each.

This is a totally different conversation than belongs in this thread, though. Or not. I don't know.

ANYWAY...................... Dr. Martens are good quality, extremely comfortable boots that can pull double duty as a dress boot. Just be sure to look for ones that were made before 2003. The newer ones are not the same quality.

I think the pair I've got I bought in '02 or so. They've survived quite a bit. Motorcycle shenanigans, working in the shop (fabrication and automotive) plus just being banged about. I shined 'em up yesterday and they look great still. The only bad thing are the soles. Wish DM offered a replacement service.

To quote NOFX:
Orthopedic, Dr. Martens good for
Waffle making, kickin' through the shin

V

VR6ofpain

Do not get the message confused with that of the Red laces. The white laces are simply a subtle display of pride for my heritage. Please do not take this the wrong way, but I think it is a shame that society deems it unacceptable for a white man to be proud of his heritage and culture. I am not saying anything derogatory about any other race or religion. Black, white, brown, yellow, christian, jewish, buddist, or a hot pink aethiest eskimo with big feet, you should be proud to be who you are, and not be afraid to stand up and say as much. I am a short (5'6") white dude. And I am proud of who I am. That is all it is fella.:001_smile

White = White pride/traditionalist

Red = Neo-Nazi/National Front/racist

Blue = Killed a cop.

Yellow = Worn by SHARPs/anti-racist (SHARP= Skin-Heads Agaist Racial Prejudice)

Green = Neutral/non-racist

Black = Traditionalist skin, punk kid, neutral, or wearing the laces the boots were sold with!!

Black + White = Two Tone/into ska or racial unity

Plaid = Non-racist/neutral
In California Red and Blue laces signify gang affiliations.

Top Bottom