What's new

Chicago Foie Gras Faux Pas

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
There can't be more than a handful of things that taste better than foie gras.

Those ducks probably lead a better life* than the billions of chickens that never sit down for a minute before they're turned into nuggets.

*If you're a vegan, good for you. I'm not, and I've already come to grips with the fact that my diet depends upon the death of some magnificent living things, including plants.

Agreed that the ducks are cared for much better than the typical chicken (and possibly most other types of livestock). As with most things, mis-information can give people pretty strong opinions for or against, but at the end of the day the common misconceptions that the ducks are nailed down in place by their feet while continously being pumped with food are still just misconceptions.

Agreed that the ducks are cared for much better than the typical chicken (and possibly most other types of livestock). As with most things, mis-information can give people pretty strong opinions for or against, but at the end of the day the common misconceptions that the ducks are nailed down in place by their feet while continously being pumped with food are still just misconceptions.

If anyone wants to force feed me, hell...nail my feet to the floor, just bring on the food, baby!

Actually-- many places still prepared and served Foie Gras...the ban was on SELLING it, so there were ways that a creative restrauranteur could purvey it without actually selling it:

"GLASS OF WATER...............$32.95 (served with complimentary Foie Gras)"

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
There can't be more than a handful of things that taste better than foie gras.

Maybe Escargots de Bourgogne would come close if prepared well... those poor little snails.... or maybe Fergus Henderson's rendition of the Roast Bone Marrow and Parsley Salad.

If anyone wants to force feed me, hell...nail my feet to the floor, just bring on the food, baby!

Actually-- many places still prepared and served Foie Gras...the ban was on SELLING it, so there were ways that a creative restrauranteur could purvey it without actually selling it:

"GLASS OF WATER...............$32.95 (served with complimentary Foie Gras)"

If imitation truly is the best form of flattery, then let me respond in your own words from another post,

"I want to party with you guys!"

:lol:

Maybe Escargots de Bourgogne would come close if prepared well... those poor little snails.... or maybe Fergus Henderson's rendition of the Roast Bone Marrow and Parsley Salad.

Proper roast bone marrow is one of the greatest joys in the world. There is nothing like it. I grew up in Chicago, and they tend to be a culinary city, but in this case, hmm. Im not a veggie by any means, though I try to get kosher beef and chicken when I can as I prefer the knowledge that it was killed slightly more humanely. That, and the quality really outshines when you take a closer look. A proper kosher ribeye is one of lifes little pleasantries IMO. Foie Gras, if prepared with truffle oil and toast with a half boiled egg, is AMAZING. But I agree that there are other more important things going on in the world than this.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
How can they ban foie gras? How the heck am I supposed to make Tournedos Rossini without it? :eek:

Proper roast bone marrow is one of the greatest joys in the world. There is nothing like it. I grew up in Chicago, and they tend to be a culinary city, but in this case, hmm. Im not a veggie by any means, though I try to get kosher beef and chicken when I can as I prefer the knowledge that it was killed slightly more humanely. That, and the quality really outshines when you take a closer look. A proper kosher ribeye is one of lifes little pleasantries IMO. Foie Gras, if prepared with truffle oil and toast with a half boiled egg, is AMAZING. But I agree that there are other more important things going on in the world than this.

I eat Kosher hotdogs because no self-respecting Chicagoan would eat anything else! :lol:

NOW (as I'm finishing my bagel...) you're making me hungry. FRIDAY...I'll sample a Chicago Foie Gras for lunch!

Fois gras is a tricky business, because many people base their attitude on misinformation or partial information (just like for 99% of all other topics in this World). Meat-eaters who reject the notion of fois gras need to carefully evaluate their other meat-eating habits, and they will find out that it is not a trivial task to maintain their credibility and integrity in this matter.

Best - MM

I'm still rather conflicted about the ethics of eating foie gras, but I definitely thought the ban was stupid. That's not government's role. I'm glad Chicago has come to its senses. There are more important things for the city to be focusing on.

Fois gras is a tricky business, because many people base their attitude on misinformation or partial information (just like for 99% of all other topics in this World). Meat-eaters who reject the notion of fois gras need to carefully evaluate their other meat-eating habits, and they will find out that it is not a trivial task to maintain their credibility and integrity in this matter.

Best - MM

Ok I'll rephase my above response to opposing "excessively cruel meat". I hate think I'm somehow a less credible omnivore because I oppose fois gras and Beef on public lands. :001_rolle My poor integrity, where have you gone?

Ok I'll rephase my above response to opposing "excessively cruel meat". I hate think I'm somehow a less credible omnivore because I oppose fois gras and Beef on public lands. :001_rolle My poor integrity, where have you gone?

I'd like to stress that I didn't make any judgement about your credibility or integrity. I just wanted to point out that I have seen many people who reject fois gras but are all too happy to eat their Chicken McNuggets (example taken from earlier post in the thread). It is very easy to lose perspective over things like this. Nothing against somebody who has a consistent and compelling stance, but few really do. Best - MM

Top Bottom