What's new

Does anyone else have an Adoration Deluxe or other G&F blade?

Hi there,
Im relatively new to the forum (I have been lurking for a few years on a different account which I have now forgotten) and I have a number of straight razors.

I recently purchased a Dubl Duck goldedge, Gold Dollar 308, Kaufmann Old India No55 - three crowns *an old blade - 120yrs old?* and a dovo favorit.
All of them were in excellent condition and I had them all professionally honed by the same person as well as my existing adoration deluxe.

My view and the question I wanted to ask is...

I still feel that the Giesen & Forsthoff Adoration Deluxe gives a superior shave to all the other blades by far.

Has anyone else owned one and made a similar comparison or am I being silly?
Similarly if others do feel this observation to be correct what razors should I be looking for to surpass my G&F blade?

I may also be selling any and all of the above blades now (except the G&F of course), particularly the dubl duck which I purchased in the belief and almost mythical description that they were a fantastic razor.
I'd rate the dubl duck below the gold dollar for the shave it gives, whether that is down to me, the hone or actual quality of the steel i don't know.

Many thanks for reading and any opinions will be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Daniele

P.S. I will post pics of all the razors at some point today.

Last edited:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Could be anything, could be the grind, the steel, the ease of maxing out the edge with that given blade, the way it handles, etc. I know I feel similarly to you when it comes to certain German blades.

They all look like very nice razors. Have you talked to the honer about the difference? Could be he changed methods for the Adoration de Luxe or something like that. Maybe you stropped that one differently yourself? Like KCB says, could be anything. I wouldn't rule them out just yet.

Welcome to B&B.

Last edited:
Thank you, I shall ask him.
I have a number of strops but near always use my Neil Miller by habit. So I'm almost certain there's been no difference in the stropping.

Here is my Adoration De Luxe. Love it. And like you here is a smattering of my Ducks. But I happen to like the shaves from these as well.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 29
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 30
Top Bottom