What's new

What is the Best Barber Shop Scent?

I really like the scent of PAA Cad. Smells like Barbasol to me. Any similar Barber Shop scents that you like or recommend?

The ones from Mike's and Strop Shoppe (SE w/tallow) smell the same to me as they must use the same fragrance oil for their Barbershop soaps. These are my favorite Barbershop scent. The WSP Rustic Barbershop scent it excellent as well. These are all more of a clean fresh sweeter scent that is very enjoyable.

Mama Bear's Barbershop scent was totally different and not one I cared for.

With a Barbershop scent (like a sandlewoods scent) the scent seems to be up for interpretation by the creator so the scents can vary greatly.
I haven't smelled CaD though so I can't give you a comparison.

Last edited:
I don't get the barbershop sent. To me every old school barber shop I have ever been in smells just like Pinaud talc and Pinaud Clubman aftershave. Literally the first time I smelled Pinaud Clubman the first thing that came into my mind was, oh, this smells just like a barbershop. I tried Stirling and to me it smelled nothing like a barbershop unless it was a barber shop that had been abandoned for several years. This it just smelled kinda old and sweet if that makes any sense. (Not a knock on Stirling, I have loved all of the other scents from them.)

If it doesn't smell like Clubman then to me, it doesn't smell like a barbershop.

Stirling's: the first time I used it I was transported back to setting and waiting my turn as my Dad, two brothers and I were getting done high and tapered.

agree with Strop Shoppe Barbershop and Bay Rum (it's a non-clove Bay Rum that smells more like a barbershop)

Crown Shaving Tonic is the best barbershop aftershave by far.

Simple. For me, Pinaud's Clubman is the scent of the barbershops in my hometown in Upstate NY. That is what they used. :thumbup1:

Nothing has ever equaled the old Gillette Foamy Barbershop Clean. That is THE perfect barbershop shaving aroma in my mind, hands down. I wish someone would replicate it.

Simple. For me, Pinaud's Clubman is the scent of the barbershops in my hometown in Upstate NY. That is what they used. :thumbup1:
+1
Clubman is the barbershop to me, but Barbasol Brisk is also a very good barbershop scent for me.

Uncle Al's barber shop back in 1960's had the Clubman on the shelf. Always splashed a bit on after he shaved my neck with a straight.
That is what a barber shop smells like.

Nothing has ever equaled the old Gillette Foamy Barbershop Clean. That is THE perfect barbershop shaving aroma in my mind, hands down. I wish someone would replicate it.

It is awesome, no doubt about it. Put that scent into an aftershave and watch sales take off. I can never figure why Gillette didn't push that product like they did with Red Foamy and Sensitive Skin Foamy. Most have never seen Barber Shop Clean. I only found out about it from this forum.

I avoided anything that said barber shop on it because I thought Ugh, who wants that? Since then I've tried several and really like Mike's Natural Soaps (might be my favorite Mike's), but I have no clue what the relationship is to anything that actually was in an old barber shop.

You might find it weird but lea stick and shaving cream smell quite barbershoppy to me.At least european barbershops such as greek or italian.

I haven't tried them all, but from what's in my den, nothing comes closer to that elusive "Traditional Barbershop Scent" than good ol' ARKO.

Top Bottom