What's new

Barbasol Confession

For those having trouble with finding the Yellow, the only B&M store I've found in the Chicagoland area is a local, smaller chain grocery store that also carries AV Ice Sport, Williams, etc. I have never seen it at any of the big box stores. If you have smaller, independent stores, that's your best bet.

How do you guys add water to shave cream from a can? I can't imagine how you do it.
I facelather it with my brush and just wet the tips of the brush. I like the Arctic Chill with Menthol. I used it this summer when we had some 90+ temp days. Barbasols good stuff.

Clayton

I facelather it with my brush and just wet the tips of the brush. I like the Arctic Chill with Menthol. I used it this summer when we had some 90+ temp days. Barbasols good stuff. Clayton

I was going to mention the Arctic Chill. I saw it for about $2 at Pasteur's last month and should have bought it. After using Barbasol with Gillette cartridges for about 4 decades before switching to DE wet shaving, I never got a chance to sample the Arctic Chill. I did enjoy hot lathers with my cans of Barbasol because I was lucky enough to buy the Clairol Shaving Capsule sometime in the late 1970's. It lasted until I bought my first DE razor back in March. I think the internal fuse blew. You plugged it in the wall, waited for the light to go off (meaning it was ready) and placed it on the top of a Barbasol can with the pressure cap taken off the can.

I still use Barbasol once a month or so when I shave my back and shoulders. I tried it once or twice for DE face shaving without my shaving brush but it just doesn't offer the same slickness that a good cream or soap does. After reading the list of ingredients, one can get a good chuckle from the phrase on the back of the can that states "it's special formula and quality ingredients...". I also admit to splashing on Barbasol Brisk aftershave every so often. Quite a bit of menthol in that considering the price is about $2 per bottle.

$barbasol_ac.jpg$shave_capsule.jpg

I have been researching non-commercial lather warmers for canned foam or gel. Seems they are a risky bet these days. Yours looks really neat.

Does anyone have a modern lather warmer for canned foam or gel that rates high in your book?

I have been researching non-commercial lather warmers for canned foam or gel. Seems they are a risky bet these days. Yours looks really neat.

Does anyone have a modern lather warmer for canned foam or gel that rates high in your book?
I just put the can in the sink basin filled with hot water. Gets the foam or gel just as warm as the plug in models.

Clayton

+1 on this method. If you're going to pursue this, Tony, make sure you dry off the can after use. The metal bottom has a tendency to rust and leave marks on your counter if you don't...not that I'm speaking from experience or anything...:blushing:

I only use the Barbasol every month or so for back and shoulder shaves, so those round rings are quite prominent when the can is picked up!

Barbasol is good stuff. If ever the day comes when I can't get Proraso or Tabac, I will probably just go back to Barbasol. BTW, try the yellow can with lanolin.

+1 on this method. If you're going to pursue this, Tony, make sure you dry off the can after use. The metal bottom has a tendency to rust and leave marks on your counter if you don't...not that I'm speaking from experience or anything...:blushing:
Barbasol cans are supposed to be rust free. But yes still dry it off before you store it.

Clayton

Caution... there is a risk of explosion from heating up any aerosol can.

For what it's worth, I worked at an aerosol can factory in college, and that's how they tested for defects (i.e., submerging the cans in a tub of hot water while moving on the conveyor belt). Occasionally, there would be a "boom". The goo would shoot straight up and the tub had solid metal sides, so no worries. I recall, though, looking up and seeing woman covered with what could have been shaving cream or some sort of cleaning foam. She must have looked into the tub at the wrong moment. No injuries, and kinda funny.

Hope no one here gets one of those cans right on the edge.

Top Bottom