What's new

are these local brand blades actually Personna?

i have some Personna blades from sally beauty supply $2.65 for 5 blades. the grocery store has their own brand $1.99 for 10 blade, and it says they are made in Israel.
this is how both are dispensed
$blades1.jpg
the ones on the left are the store brand and the ones on the right are Personna. the basic style of dispenser is similar.

here is the store brand blade setting in my fatboy on the left, and the Personna balanced on top of my 34c on the right.
$blades2.jpg
i am suspecting that the store brand in actually an Israeli Personna???? are there other blade makers in Israel?
i am fairly new and so far my favorite blades have been Personna and Feather. i tried one of the store brand blades in my travel tech today and had a really nice irritation free shave. i plan on trying this in several razors over the next couple of weeks. i was just hoping for you opinions, is this a cheap way to get good blades locally? i know i can get blades even cheaper in bulk online, but i thought i would give this a try.

Store branded blades are generally Personna, made in USA or Israel. The other option is Dorco, easy to spot if the package says they were made in Vietnam or in Korea.

Check the country of origin.

USA or Israel = Personna = good

South Korea = Dorco = not so good
+1 ... just about every store-branded DE blade is OEM from one or the other of these two companies.

One thing I've noticed about DE blades in the last couple years is that most of them are now Stainless Steel ... they used to be offering Platimum-Chrome blades, but the switch was made with no apparent explanation.

Perhaps the manufacturers decided to skip the coatings in a cost-saving measure, and they hoped that nobody would notice.

Well, I notice. And I don't like it. I greatly prefer coated blades, and wish they were still available at the B&M level. While I have enough mail-order blades to last me for several years, I'd like to be able to get Plat-Chrome blades if I'm traveling, or make them available to newbies when they inquire about "what blade should I buy?"

I like the Personna "Barber" (generic labelled blades). I've used them for years. I've seen them labeled different ways, "Platinum Chrome" on both the package and dispenser; "Platinum Chrome" on the package and "Stainless Steel" on the dispenser, or vice versa. "Comfort Coated" or similar mixed in with "Platinum Chrome" and/or "Stainless Steel".

I don't notice any difference in the way they shave between the differing labels, just seems to be the way they market them for whatever reason. There are other threads where members have looked at the edges of various blades under a microscope and have come to the conclusion that all modern blades that are usable are coated whether they are marketed that way or not. Much as all blades are stainless steel even if they're marketed as platinum chrome (with few exceptions, like Treet or something).

Top Bottom