What's new

Best European Soap?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I recently have come across numerous high quality,expensive, European soaps.

I am wondering whether anybody could opine as to which of these is best. If you have tried two, I'd love to hear which one is better. There is no way I am shelling out for all of these!

Valobra
Santa Maria Novella Crema da Barba

Antica Barbieri Colla
Xpec
Panna Crema Nuavia Rosa
Saponificio Varesino
Acqua di Parma’s Collexione Barbiere
Czech and Speake
La Savonniere du Moulin Donkey Milk Shaving Soap
Le Pere lucien

Thanks!

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I haven't tried any of those babies, but if I were so inclined to spend the bucks, it would be on C&S. .... I think. :tongue_sm

I've used Czech & Speake, Saponificio and the Donkey Milk. My preference is in that order with the C&S solidly ahead of the others.

The only one on the list that I own is XPEC. I love the stuff. Right there with Martin de Candre, Tabac and Wm Neumann cream. MdC seems to have a longer useful life, however, although expensive.

I recently have come across numerous high quality,expensive, European soaps.

I use Martin de Candre daily. I have it in both their original gentle lavender scent (light, pleasant) and their Fougere (fern, also pleasant and subtle) scent. Great soap, just a few simple ingredients. It is somewhat costly in absolute terms, but - because they dry it on racks for months before sale - it lasts for many months, so reasonable per use. Not very available in the US but easy to order from them direct.

YMMV, but there are a lot of B&B'ers who also think very highly of it. You should consider it.

The only one from the list I have used is Czech and Speake. I have the No. 88 and Oxford and Cambridge. Top quality lather, but the thing that sets them apart for me are the scents, I happen to love both. Not necessarily dead ringers for their respective EdTs, but along the same lines. They kind of compliment each other. The 88 is on its last few shaves, likely will not replace simply due to cost. The O&C will likely last the rest of my life, plus some. I used it, along with the rest of the O&C line, on my wedding day and they pretty much only get used on anniversary dates. Even if it was an everyday soap for me, I would replace it. Love that scent too darn much! Again, top notch lather and super easy on my skin, but not so much so that those qualities alone would compel me to buy again.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I use Martin de Candre daily. I have it in both their original gentle lavender scent (light, pleasant) and their Fougere (fern, also pleasant and subtle) scent. Great soap, just a few simple ingredients. It is somewhat costly in absolute terms, but - because they dry it on racks for months before sale - it lasts for many months, so reasonable per use. Not very available in the US but easy to order from them direct.

YMMV, but there are a lot of B&B'ers who also think very highly of it. You should consider it.

That is one I have tried and loved. Would you say that it is better than the rest of these?

C&S > SMN = MdC in my opinion.

I haven't tried the new version of SMN but the older one with the Eucalyptus scent was a good soap and when purchased in Firenze, a reasonably priced soap. Martin de Candre was disappointing to me- it is a good soap and lasted quite well but the lather was not nearly as good as that from other products which I have used.

If you would consider high-quality, not expensive European soaps please put Tabac, Palmolive, Haslinger, DR Harris, Speick and Wilkinson Sword on your list.

Martin De Candre

Saponificio Varesino

Pre de Provance

Le Pere Lucien

L'OCCITANE Cade soap

I haven't tried the other soaps. Although I do have the donkey milk soap but I haven't tried it.

C&S soaps are made by Valobra (I believe). I haven't used C&S, but if they are on par with Valobra puck shave soaps, then you should give these a try! Truly superb soaps

Top Bottom