What's new

Leaky TWSBI 580

I'm in love with my TWSBI 580 demonstrator, but I've got a serious case of the Blue Fingers.
I don't see any cracks or physical problems with the pen body, but the plastic section that covers the threads connecting the nib to the body fills up with ink that then leaks out around the gasket and onto my finger.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking silicone grease on the gasket, but that's strikes me as a bandaid on the symptoms and not a cure.

$0918151137.jpg

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Here is your best solution... Link

Seriously, Speedy has always been very responsive to emails and customer service. Send them an email.

Have you changed nibs at anytime, or removed the section containing the nib?

If I remember correctly, there are two little bumps that need to line up on the collar/sleeve when putting the nib on. If they aren't aligned correctly it will leak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you changed nibs at anytime, or removed the section containing the nib?

If I remember correctly, there are two little bumps that need to line up on the collar/sleeve when putting the nib on. If they aren't aligned correctly it will leak.

Yea, that metal collar at the end of the section won't seat right if it's not lined up, and that would keep the feed unit from seating into the barrel all the way allowing ink to leak into the section.

Silicone grease is not the answer. You don't need any grease there at all. If that metal collar at the end of the section is properly seated, I would remove the section and check either the feed unit or the end of the barrel where the feed unit screws in for a crack.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that is not the case then look at the nib housing right where it meets the metal collar. I had a classic crack there once and it caused the feed to leak. I never removed the nib before that so it is possible to get a Crack there even if you don't tinker with the pen much.

Yup, the leaks started up again a day later. I went back to Goulet to ask about it and they immediately got me in touch with a TWSBI rep, seems like a known issue. I'm sitting by the Batphone awaiting further instructions.

How are the current 580 models regaring ink leakage (or ink seeping where it should not go)? As much as I believe TWSBI's customer service is excellent, I would prefer not having to deal with them from across the ocean. That always introduces extra hassles, for me and for them.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have a 580 AL (orange aluminum parts) that I have used nearly daily for a couple of months with no leakage or cracked parts issues. I have not done any "high volume" writing with it, just note taking at work, but carry it regularly in my pocket, I don't baby it, cap off and on several times a day, normal handling, etc. I purchased it with a broad nib, because that was all that were left in the orange variety and later swapped out the nib for a fine, which has seen the vast majority of the use thus far. No problems with either.

Top Bottom