What's new

Eterna Matic 1000 - how to set the time (seconds)

My father just gave me his Eterna Matic 1000, that he got when he graduated in 1972. It was cleaned about a year ago, and seems to be working fine. However, I am having difficulties adjusting the hand showing the seconds. On my non automatic Certina DS, the second hand stops when I pull the crown out one step, and I am able to adjust hours and minutes. On the Eterna, the second hand keeps running, but I am able to adjust the hours and minutes.

Is there some trick to do this, or is there something wrong with my "new" watch? Also, recommendations for a good vintage watch forum would be appreciated :)

That watch probably just doesn't "hack." Not all do, even among better brands. On some movements the cannon pinion is tight enough that setting the watch backwards will stop the second hand briefly, but I've not seen that with an Eterna. You can let it wind down until it stops, and then move and wind it at the correct second to get it running on time, but this is quite tricky. I recommend you accept the imperfect setting since it will drift anyway (they ALL do) and just enjoy a quality product with a familiar history.

Top Bottom