What's new

Question about Johnnie Walker

The strangest thing happened. I finished reading this thread when it first came along, and I decided to do a little research. I went to our local liquor store (WA. St. has a liquor monopoly) :mad: with the intent of buying one each of the Red, Black, Green, Blue, and gold Johnnie Walkers in the 1 oz sampler size. It turned out that the only sampler available was the black, which would do me no good, as I couldn't very well compare the whiskeys with only one of the four.:frown: I was ready to leave when I noticed a display with Jamison Irish whiskey for $26.00 a 750 ml bottle plus a nice little metal flask. Somehow two of them went home with me.:w00t: Now I ask; How the heck do these things happen???:biggrin:
Ken.
Puzzled By the Shores of Puget Sound.

V

VR6ofpain

One from the freezer.

One going into the freezer.

Fellas, I would not steer you wrong. Put a bottle in the freezer and then pour yourself two fingers neat. Syrupy goodness. I'm tellin' ya. :thumbup1:
Putting scotch (any whiskey) in the freezer covers up a lot of the flavors. This is similar to drinking it on the rocks. A waste IMO.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Putting scotch (any whiskey) in the freezer covers up a lot of the flavors. This is similar to drinking it on the rocks. A waste IMO.

Actually, Johnnie Walker recommends putting Gold in the freezer to bring out some of the flavors.

Unlike drinking it on the rocks wherein the water from the ice changes the flavor. Give it a try.

I love the Green. In So Cal you can pick it up on sale for about $20 more than the Black. I would buy the Black over the Gold (about $30 difference). I love the Blue, but the price is out of my range. May pick up a second bottle someday for a special occasion.

I must fess up to ignorance. I have heard the expression "two fingers" but I don't know what it means. Any insight?

I do love the JW Blue but at $70 for a double at our local Flemings I don't do it often. It's worth it at least once just to say you've tried it.

For the most part Black it what I drink. It's $57 for a 1.75l bottle at Costco. :biggrin:

One from the freezer.

full

Fellas, I would not steer you wrong. Put a bottle in the freezer and then pour yourself two fingers neat. Syrupy goodness. I'm tellin' ya. :thumbup1:

Last edited by a moderator:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Using two fingers is a measurement wherein you put your two fingers horizontally next to a glass and pour until it reaches the top of the second finger. Or, the alternative, which is my preference....:biggrin:

V

VR6ofpain

Actually, Johnnie Walker recommends putting Gold in the freezer to bring out some of the flavors.

Unlike drinking it on the rocks wherein the water from the ice changes the flavor. Give it a try.
I prefer my scotch single malt and room temperature. I have some stemless white wine glasses which also help concentrate the nose of the scotch. Currently I am much more into bourbon. Honestly though, if you like it cold, more power to you. :thumbup1:

I prefer my scotch single malt and room temperature. I have some stemless white wine glasses which also help concentrate the nose of the scotch. Currently I am much more into bourbon. Honestly though, if you like it cold, more power to you. :thumbup1:

I love the stemless wine glasses for my scotch as well.

What bourbon do you like?

One from the freezer.

full

The next time I pick up some Gold, I will give it a try.

I tend to like my scotch or bourbon at room temp, but at times, I drop a tiny bit if ice to cool it off and open it up.

I prefer my whiskies room temperature. I like to sample it neat and then put in a splash of water to bring out the aromatics.

On that note, I'm flying out to Islay tomorrow for the whisky festival! I'm quite excited.

I prefer my whiskies room temperature. I like to sample it neat and then put in a splash of water to bring out the aromatics.

On that note, I'm flying out to Islay tomorrow for the whisky festival! I'm quite excited.

Pleas post on this thread and let us know about the festival. I hope you have a great time

Glad some one brought up Chivas because that is one highly drinkable substance.

I play golf with a couple of geezers that will only drink Johnny red. Evan if your uncle is as crusty as this pair, though, he will most likely thank you for buying him the black.

Your statements reflect your good taste! Nice axe in your avatar.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
One from the freezer.

full

Is that just for the Gold, or would you do that with any scotch, even single-malt??

Oh, and I'll throw in a word for my good pal Johnnie Red. He ain't fancy or nothin', but dang if he ain't the best guy to have around for coctails and maybe a scotch-n-soda. :biggrin:

Hey Folks,

My uncle is coming to town for a few weeks and my folks have tasked me with purchasing a bottle of Johnnie Walker for him (his preferred drink).

As far as I know, he usually drinks black or red, but I'm not entirely sure that is by choice- i wouldn't be surprised if he's never really had an opportunity to upgrade to the gold or green (forget blue because I'm not in a position to buy that either, haha)

Any opinions about the gold or green? Are they worth the extra $$$?

I have no problem upgrading, just wanted to see if you guys would think he would enjoy it.

What did you purchase for your uncle and how did he like it?

When I was in Japan, Johnny Walker Black was the prestige scotch among Japanese. With the tariffs, a bottle cost over $100 in a liquor store. It ran about six bucks on the American Navy base. If you presented a bottle to the Mama-san at your favorite bar, you were in. You owned the place after that. the Red was considered plebian, and I don't think the other colors were even known. I know I had never heard of them. I am talking 1960's and 1970's. Me, I liked White Horse. After the second drink, it all tasted the same to me anyway.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Green is not a blended whisky (i.e. a blend of single malts and grain whisky). Rather, it is a blended (or "vatted") malt whisky, composed of a blend of single malts only (it is not a single malt itself). Thus, someone used to drinking Black or Red might well be happier with the Gold, which will be closer in character.

Ken

Top Bottom