What's new

I May Have Cured My SSAD

Hello All,

I have been wet shaving for just about a year now. I have bought a good amount of soaps(and brushes too). The soap aspect is what drew me to wet shaving in the first place, as well as the terrible irritation I used to get from cartridge/goopy gel shaving. Well my SSAD may be gone due to one simple thing:

I got a puck of B&M Cheshire in the mail the other day.

Now I only want to use B&M soaps. It was the best shave I ever had. Now I know this is going in a total YMMV direction, I'm not saying everyone needs to agree with me, but wow did this ever affect me.

So please, let me know you experiences with B&M and what scents you like and honestly what the scent profiles smell like to you since they sound so complex and mysterious to me. I would love to hear your opinions.

Maybe off subject. I am thinking about trying barrister also. Is Cheshire the only scent you have tried?

By far, my favorite B&M scent is Nocturne which is a fall apple cider type scent that smells absolutely excellent. I'm not sure if it's one that's only available seasonally thought so you may have to pick it up when you see it offered. Think of warm apple cider on a cold fall day. The apple scent is outstanding. I used it again last week and the wife gave it the "mmmm, I like that one" response. I have Ciderhouse 5 from Phoenix Artisan as well and it's really nice also but I prefer the scent of the Nocturne.

Seville is a nice scent that is very well liked by most that encounter it. The scent profile says bergamot, lemon, patchouli, oakmoss, lavender, and rosemary. It's pretty neutral and easy on the nose. I do pick up a bit of the bergamot, lemon, lavender and rosemary. To me it's not really a floral scent though but more of a barbershop type scent with some citrus notes. Either way I like it. Not too bold and not a love it or hate it scent like some other B&M offerings can be. It's one I'd definitely recommend because there's a very good chance you're going to like it.

The Latha soap is nice as well and truly excellent if you have really hard water. Even if you don't it's still great stuff. The scent of the Black Latha is a neutral barbershop scent that's very enjoyable. The soap performs very well making it another great offering from B&M. It's intended to be a great performing lower cost tallow soap with excellent skincare properties and slickness. I like it because the performance is great and the scents are a bit simplier and not quite as complex as some of the other line's offerings can be. Just a great smelling great performing soap that's an excellent value. They've introduced a few more scents since I've tried the black but I haven't tried those yet.

Last edited:
Maybe off subject. I am thinking about trying barrister also. Is Cheshire the only scent you have tried?

At this point I have only tried Cheshire and the Latha line Lavanda. Both are excellent but the original "white label" line was better ever so slightly.

Also I have found that the post shave scent of the Cheshire smells(to me at least) exactly like Speick after shave, which is one of my favorite scents ever so definitely a win for me.

Last edited:
By far, my favorite B&M scent is Nocturne which is a fall apple cider type scent that smells absolutely excellent. I'm not sure if it's one that's only available seasonally thought so you may have to pick it up when you see it offered. Think of warm apple cider on a cold fall day. The apple scent is outstanding. I used it again last week and the wife gave it the "mmmm, I like that one" response. I have Ciderhouse 5 from Phoenix Artisan as well and it's really nice also but I prefer the scent of the Nocturne.

Seville is a nice scent that is very well liked by most that encounter it. The scent profile says bergamot, lemon, patchouli, oakmoss, lavender, and rosemary. It's pretty neutral and easy on the nose. I do pick up a bit of the bergamot, lemon, lavender and rosemary. To me it's not really a floral scent though but more of a barbershop type scent with some citrus notes. Either way I like it. Not too bold and not a love it or hate it scent like some other B&M offerings can be. It's one I'd definitely recommend because there's a very good chance you're going to like it.

The Latha soap is nice as well and truly excellent if you have really hard water. Even if you don't it's still great stuff. The scent of the Black Latha is a neutral barbershop scent that's very enjoyable. The soap performs very well making it another great offering from B&M. It's intended to be a great performing lower cost tallow soap with excellent skincare properties and slickness. I like it because the performance is great and the scents are a bit simplier and not quite as complex as some of the other line's offerings can be. Just a great smelling great performing soap that's an excellent value. They've introduced a few more scents since I've tried the black but I haven't tried those yet.

Based on how I hear the Seville described it sounds like the Cold River Barbershop scent which is a clean, citrus-y barbershop scent. Don't know if anyone here has tried both.

A cure for SSAD?... No,no,no, you're only in a temporary remission. In time the condition will reassert itself... :)

B&M is pretty much my chosen soap ... I have a couple of other brands, but if pressed, I'll choose B&M over anything and everything, every day.

I have: Lavanille, Leviathan, Clary Sage, Arctique, Rhapsody, Roam, Ferox and Winter Spice ... of them, my favorite is Leviathan, head and shoulders above the rest, followed by Roam, Lavanille and probably Rhapsody. I've yet to try his others like Cheshire or Bay Rum but that will change soon I'm sure. I'm also planning to try the Latha line.

I use others, Arko/La Toja sticks when I'm traveling or in a rush, but B&M is my choice.

B&M is pretty much my chosen soap ... I have a couple of other brands, but if pressed, I'll choose B&M over anything and everything, every day.

I have: Lavanille, Leviathan, Clary Sage, Arctique, Rhapsody, Roam, Ferox and Winter Spice ... of them, my favorite is Leviathan, head and shoulders above the rest, followed by Roam, Lavanille and probably Rhapsody. I've yet to try his others like Cheshire or Bay Rum but that will change soon I'm sure. I'm also planning to try the Latha line.

I use others, Arko/La Toja sticks when I'm traveling or in a rush, but B&M is my choice.

I have to ask how you would describe Leviathan, it sounds so complex and outside my comfort zone of scents but I will pick it up just for the insane fanbase it has. Also I don't respond well to sandlewood scents so hopefully it won't burn me.

I have to ask how you would describe Leviathan, it sounds so complex and outside my comfort zone of scents but I will pick it up just for the insane fanbase it has. Also I don't respond well to sandlewood scents so hopefully it won't burn me.

When I smell Leviathan I get more vanilla, leather, coffee and chocolate than I do sandalwood ... I'm not good with describing scents, but to me, Leviathan is like curling up on a cozy, well loved leather sofa or recliner with a good book and a cup of coffee on a fall day with the windows open and a breeze coming through the house. It's warm and inviting and gentle. It's a wonderful soap and would be the one I chose if I was forced to choose just one B&M for the rest of my life.

When I smell Leviathan I get more vanilla, leather, coffee and chocolate than I do sandalwood ... I'm not good with describing scents, but to me, Leviathan is like curling up on a cozy, well loved leather sofa or recliner with a good book and a cup of coffee on a fall day with the windows open and a breeze coming through the house. It's warm and inviting and gentle. It's a wonderful soap and would be the one I chose if I was forced to choose just one B&M for the rest of my life.

Well I'm going to be buying it next week when it goes up online. Also I just noticed you are a fellow Wisconsinite, Milwaukean here myself.

As jlindy said - remission. B&M Seville moved to the top of my rotation the first time I tried it. All I used for a while. In fact, it has never left my top 3. I have 3017'd this soap more than any other. But my disorder continues driven by this community and curiosity. I now have over 60 soaps and am having a hard time 3017'ing anything. All the new artisans are great. I am really enjoying Chiseled Face, Catties Bubbles, Strop Shoppe Tallow, Pannacrema, CRSW, PdP, on and on. Right now my top 5 are MdC Fougere, B&M Seville, Soap Commander - various, Tabac, and SV. This changes from time to time but B&M Seville is always there.

I just got the Latha Limon and it's a very simple but very nice fresh lemon scent. I haven't lathered it yet so I don't want to describe the scent too much, but the scent is very different than other B&M scents which are usually quite complex. I'm a big citrus fan and I'm thrilled to see this added to the B&M lineup

B&M soaps are just amazing. Everything is outstanding including cushion, slickness and amazing post shave (dont even need balm). If you love the performance and post shave of Barrister & Mann, you need to try the followings soaps (which have the same incredible performance):

Mikes Natural Soaps
Strop Shoppe Tallow
Shannons Soaps
Mystic Water
Chiseled Face
Mikey Lee Soapworks

Let the SSAD return!!!

Top Bottom