What's new

Art of shaving.worth it?

Oh, whoops. I didn't realize you already got it when I replied. I missed that your visit was so soon in the future. :blushing:

If you want to buy more Bigelow in the future be sure to look for sales. It is pretty regularly on sale for buy 2 get 1 free, and they run an even better sale on it around Christmas time. That's the time to stock up.

Oh, whoops. I didn't realize you already got it when I replied. I missed that your visit was so soon in the future. :blushing:

If you want to buy more Bigelow in the future be sure to look for sales. It is pretty regularly on sale for buy 2 get 1 free, and they run an even better sale on it around Christmas time. That's the time to stock up.

I love my Bigelow, I'm just not sure about the menthol and Eucalyptus in the winter, it's more of a summer scent to me. As far as the suggestion of the samples go, I figured since I pretty much had my mind made up before I went in that getting samples would just cost me more money in the long run. Getting the Sandalwood cream satisfied my need for a fall/winter cream. :001_smile

I love me some AoS Sandalwood. Wonderful scent with excellent performance. I obtained 114 shaves from a tub which equates to $.22 per shave.

I love me some AoS Sandalwood. Wonderful scent with excellent performance. I obtained 114 shaves from a tub which equates to $.22 per shave.

Were you being liberal with the amount you used or were you trying to be conservative and make it last?

I love the AOS soap, both the old and new formulae, but for half the price you can get an equally excellent soap elsewhere. I've only paid full price once for anything AOS. Lots of sample sizes out there.

Mr. Daniel, you can be on the look out for some ebay bargains on NOS AOS sandalwood soap pucks. Same scent as the cream but in a tallow triple milled hard soap. Like a tub of AOS cream, it should last you 3-4 months.

$gillette bostonian aos sandalwood jan 20 2014s.jpg

Mr. Daniel, you can be on the look out for some ebay bargains on NOS AOS sandalwood soap pucks. Same scent as the cream but in a tallow triple milled hard soap. Like a tub of AOS cream, it should last you 3-4 months.

View attachment 601468

Did you get that brush at Art of Shaving? they had one just like it and I was surprised at how heavy it was. That thing was solid!

I will be on the lookout but I'm mainly into creams as they just seem to perform better with the hard mountain water I have here in Chattanooga.

BTW, what kind of razor is that? Gorgeous finish and detail on the handle.

Their old soap is still a favorite, I stocked up when they changed formulas and one could find the old stock at a discount.
I don't use creams often, but the AoS creams are my favorite.

Did you get that brush at Art of Shaving? they had one just like it and I was surprised at how heavy it was. That thing was solid!

I will be on the lookout but I'm mainly into creams as they just seem to perform better with the hard mountain water I have here in Chattanooga.

BTW, what kind of razor is that? Gorgeous finish and detail on the handle.

the engraved brush is the AOS model, actually found close out on eBay of both nickel and gold tone.
razor is vintage Gillette Bostonian "new", I believe.

The tangibility factor of a B&M was hard to beat when I started. I took the plunge on a tub of lavender cream, which remained a favorite until it ran out. I have not replenished, and I have found an abundance of comparable quality products costing much less money. One walk-in retail experience got the bug out of my system. If you take the plunge, the experience may do the same for you.

The tangibility factor of a B&M was hard to beat when I started. I took the plunge on a tub of lavender cream, which remained a favorite until it ran out. I have not replenished, and I have found an abundance of comparable quality products costing much less money. One walk-in retail experience got the bug out of my system. If you take the plunge, the experience may do the same for you.

I agree, I do like the fact that I could look at the consistency and smell it before I bought it. Depending on how long it lasts though, I may just stick with it. It has given me 2 amazing shaves and is the best cream/soap I've tried so far.

There's a premium to be able to impulse buy a product and take it home the same day.
If you're patient, there are always sales and coupons available for online ordering.

It's a fun shop to visit. The creams are very good and remind me of T&H in performance and price. I won't buy it again mostly because I prefer TOBS creams. But the scents are top notch.

The sandalwood aftershave balm is amazing and moisturizing (and a little goes a long way). I have two of them, one still in the box sealed.

Hardware is overpriced.

And that's my summary of AoS!

Agree 100%.
I visited the store in Raleigh, NC 4 or 5 times this year when on business. I won't buy hardware (way out of line $ IMO), but have purchased a tub of Sandalwood Cream, a tub of the Ocean Kelp Cream, and just got the Sandalwood Balm last week.
The Sandalwood items are excellent and I can't wait for cold weather to arrive so I can use more often. Tried the Balm with the cream the day after purchase and it is a "Wow".
Ocean Kelp is different, but I like the scent. Wife REALLY likes it.
Quality throughout all 3 AoS items, but Speick, Proraso, and TOBS are still staples of the rotation due to $ and performance. Enjoy!

I'm not afraid to spend money on a quality product and have more expensive stuff than AoS, that said I'm always amazed at how people here think $25 for a 5 oz tub of cream is really that expensive. Top of the cream heap for me and the sandalwood is second to none.

I'm not afraid to spend money on a quality product and have more expensive stuff than AoS, that said I'm always amazed at how people here think $25 for a 5 oz tub of cream is really that expensive. Top of the cream heap for me and the sandalwood is second to none.

This is how I feel. There are creams that see well into the $60s and $70s. I think it's a good value considering the quality and how little it takes for a great lather. Sure there are budget creams but that's not why I got it. This will last me deep into the winter, I'll use it 5 days a week. I got it to use, not to sit in a rotation and wait to be used, I only buy one or 2 creams in a 1 year period. Overall cost is pretty low. I would rather buy one quality cream instead of 10 soaps and 10 creams every year and only use 1/10 of each one.

No.
AOS products are always overpriced.
Just price check the internet.

Also I have to say the reformulated shave soaps are sub-par.
The old tallow Valobra made soap was great!!!
Buy the NOS tallow soaps on ebay and others for half the price.

The new soap is underwelming at twice the price.
I'm amazed at how companies ruin good products.

Top Bottom