What's new

Vientamese-style press pot?

In all the Vietnamese restaurants here they use a gravity metal cup... I can buy it any Asian supermarket if there's one by you...

I miss getting cafe su da made that way. It seems that every Vietnamese restaurant I've been in lately just hands you the coffee on ice already made. Although that filter that Joel demonstrates is one that I've never seen (with the screw tightener).

-jim

I have a couple of those phin filters, I used to keep some condensed milk in the fridge at work and use the dark, bitter Starbucks coffee they had to make my own ca fe sua da's, quite tasty. I've only used the screw tightener type, which seems to be traditional.

I would highly recommend you try to find Trung Nguyen coffee. I've had the luxury of comparing it, one of the most popular coffees in Vietnam with CDM w/ Chickory, and there is no comparison. The Vietnamese blends contain robusta, and are blended with a variety of spices and additives which result in a butty smooth, thick brew. I was able to find it at a local asian market, about 1 mile from where I work. Worst case scenario is that you have to look online for it (Amazon or AliExpress should have it).

Also, make sure you get the larger phin. I have a large one and a small one. For as long as the drawdown takes, the small one isn't worth it.

Tried the coffee pot yesterday. It was pretty good with milk & sugar, I guess. Only made the one pot so far, so I'll reserve judgement for now, but offhand it was similar to Italian stove top, only less rich, and closer in flavor to espresso. The 8 cm pot made as much liquid as an espresso double shot. I can see why it would be good with condensed milk. Will pick some up and try again.

This is the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008A0932S

Top Bottom