What's new

What to so with an old Pinaud Bottle?

I snagged the below pictured old, glass Pinaud bottle thinking I would clean it our and decent some modern Clubman (or other Pinned AS) into it and use it.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442183574.500572.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442183593.523607.jpg

Once I had it in my possession I realized that the metal top does not just come off. This would make decanting something into it very difficult, and cleaning out the inside near impossible. I could try to remove the metal top, but I'm sure that would destroy the brittle old metal.

I could use it as merely a decor piece, either empty or with some Veg that is sitting on my shelf unlikely to ever be used again. It does look pretty similar to a Veg bottle.

What do y’all think?

Not a screw-top, then? Or maybe it is, but the threads have gone?

Either way you could probably use a perfume funnel or a kitchen syringe to get past it, both for cleaning and refilling. For narrow reducers I use a cheap plastic kitchen syringe.

Not a screw-top, then? Or maybe it is, but the threads have gone?

Either way you could probably use a perfume funnel or a kitchen syringe to get past it, both for cleaning and refilling. For narrow reducers I use a cheap plastic kitchen syringe.

The screw off cap was removed for that close up picture

The cap below that, the cap directly attached to the glass isn't a screw top? If it's a press-fit you won't have any other option but to use a syringe to fill it.

That is NOT a screw on. It spins around ad infinitum.

Last edited:
If using a kitchen syringe is a no go, you might consider drilling the opening out just a bit larger (if more size or a clean passage is required) then clean the inside by rinse and swish and decant some good stuff if your choosing into it.

I snagged the below pictured old, glass Pinaud bottle thinking I would clean it our and decent some modern Clubman (or other Pinned AS) into it and use it.

View attachment 600668

View attachment 600669

Once I had it in my possession I realized that the metal top does not just come off. This would make decanting something into it very difficult, and cleaning out the inside near impossible. I could try to remove the metal top, but I'm sure that would destroy the brittle old metal.

I could use it as merely a decor piece, either empty or with some Veg that is sitting on my shelf unlikely to ever be used again. It does look pretty similar to a Veg bottle.

What do y’all think?

Some CLR and brush to clean the metal?

I've cleaned many bottles, but not one with a top like that, yet. I do have a couple, but haven't attempted yet. It's looks tricky, but it should be doable. Your best bet at cleaning is a combination of chemical and physical agents.

Step 1. Fill it up with hot water and dish soap and let it soak for a day. Turn the bottle on its side to ensure the cap interior gets soaked. Empty half the bottle then shake it up to free up any loose bits.

Step 2. Repeat the above process, but if it up 50% with scrubbing bubbles and 50% water. Then rinse out completely!

Step 3. Tricky, with a small opening, but put as much baking soda as you can easily get into the bottle. If you can get 1/4 - 1/2 inch worth in the bottom, that's good. Add just enough water to allow the baking soda to be able to be sloshed around. Then shake it up, the baking soda acts like sandpaper to the inside of the bottle. You can also use salt for this process, especially if there is big chunky gunk you are trying to remove. But I think Baking Soda works better, but sometimes I use both. This, should, lodge anything free that you can't see from the underneath side of the metal cap.

Step 4. if there is ever anything stubborn on the inside of the bottle (like those white "sick glass" stains), you can use a piper cleaner and scrape at them with the metal that sticks out of the end.

Step 5. clean the exterior well with scrubbing bubbles and a toothbrush.

Step 6. Rinse well, very well....

Step 7. Refill with aftershave. My preferred method is to use a small diameter plastic tubing, and siphon aftershave into the new bottle. The tubing I use will fit into any aftershave bottle or hot sauce type bottle. Or you can use a perfumers funnel, or a medicine syringe (used for giving medicine to infants) as a funnel.

Sometimes some of the above step need to be repeated several times to get the desired results. When soaking, leave it for a full 24hours. Don't rush it, sometimes it just takes time to eat through years of neglect. This is the process I use for cleaning all of my glass bottles. Hope it works for you.

Clearly the answer is that you should not use this difficult bottle (send it to me). :lol::lol:

Excellent find!! Best bet is to use a syringe IMO. You can take out the plunger and use the syringe/needle combination as a funnel.

I've cleaned many bottles, but not one with a top like that, yet. I do have a couple, but haven't attempted yet. It's looks tricky, but it should be doable. Your best bet at cleaning is a combination of chemical and physical agents.

Step 1. Fill it up with hot water and dish soap and let it soak for a day. Turn the bottle on its side to ensure the cap interior gets soaked. Empty half the bottle then shake it up to free up any loose bits.

Step 2. Repeat the above process, but if it up 50% with scrubbing bubbles and 50% water. Then rinse out completely!

Step 3. Tricky, with a small opening, but put as much baking soda as you can easily get into the bottle. If you can get 1/4 - 1/2 inch worth in the bottom, that's good. Add just enough water to allow the baking soda to be able to be sloshed around. Then shake it up, the baking soda acts like sandpaper to the inside of the bottle. You can also use salt for this process, especially if there is big chunky gunk you are trying to remove. But I think Baking Soda works better, but sometimes I use both. This, should, lodge anything free that you can't see from the underneath side of the metal cap.

Step 4. if there is ever anything stubborn on the inside of the bottle (like those white "sick glass" stains), you can use a piper cleaner and scrape at them with the metal that sticks out of the end.

Step 7. Refill with aftershave. My preferred method is to use a small diameter plastic tubing, and siphon aftershave into the new bottle. The tubing I use will fit into any aftershave bottle or hot sauce type bottle. Or you can use a perfumers funnel, or a medicine syringe (used for giving medicine to infants) as a funnel.

Sometimes some of the above step need to be repeated several times to get the desired results. When soaking, leave it for a full 24hours. Don't rush it, sometimes it just takes time to eat through years of neglect. This is the process I use for cleaning all of my glass bottles. Hope it works for you.

awesome post. But step 7 is awesomer. I use a tiny funnel (from a perfume supply place) and when I get done refilling a bottle, man, the place smells nice. But I'd rather all that nice get into the bottle. Siphoning sounds way more efficient.

-jim

Wow. That page with all the various closures is really fascinating. It is amazing how the profit motive can cause so much creative thinking and variation in such a common and everyday device.

Any chance the cap has a cork underneath ?....Before you do anything shoot an email with your photos to this guy,and ask for advice....Also,they do sell replica stoppers online,I have seen them in the past. http://www.sha.org/bottle/closures.htm

Thanks y'all for all these tips. I'll have to start giving them a try this weekend, as I am booked up every evening this week. Hopefully I'll have it looking nice with a week or two after that.

Do y'all think I should put the Clubman that I use about every other day in there, or put in the Veg, just for decoration?

Clearly the answer is that you should not use this difficult bottle (send it to me). :lol::lol:

Excellent find!! Best bet is to use a syringe IMO. You can take out the plunger and use the syringe/needle combination as a funnel.

In think you need a prescription for hypodermic needles.

If you need syringes and/or needles of any size check your feed store or vet supply.

Some of your better feed stores/vet supply joints will have other things that will no doubt intrigue and inspire.

Top Bottom