What's new

Non dominant hand dexterity

I'm a noob and I don't think I've got the dexterity in my left hand to do my left side. I am finding it more comfortable to go right handed and use it like a Japanese knife. Is this wrong?

I'm of the opinion that as long as the job get done the way you want it to then that's the right way to do it...

I'm of the opinion that as long as the job get done the way you want it to then that's the right way to do it...

Pretty much how I view it. The only "wrong way" to shave with a straight is the way that causes irritation, nicks, or cuts. Keep on going with your right hand only, if that is what is working for ya.

Agreed...as long as it get the job done!! I don't have the flexibility to just use my right hand to shave the left side of my face!

Last edited:
No right or wrong way. But if you stick with it, I bet your off hand will catch up and on some shaves may even surpass your dominant hand.

Its like anything, the more practice the better, keep at it, if you don't you'll never get better at it, sounds easy to say but its true, you'll soon be at the point were you don't have to think about it, just doing it.

Can't do the stretching thing, feels super clumsy. I do use my left hand to shave the left side of my face, switching back to my right hand for my neck. With a DE I get a better shave on my right neck if I use my left hand - shoulder & elbow stiffness makes it tough to get a decent angle on the DE...

I would encourage you to shave with both hands, it takes practice and I recommend short strokes at first with you non-dominate.

Alex

I would encourage you to shave with both hands, it takes practice and I recommend short strokes at first with you non-dominate.

Alex

I agree on fully on the "do what works for you" in the end, I can't disagree with giving the method of using both hands a fair shake during your journey, just to see how well it goes. I wasn't sure I had the ability to use my left hand for shaving the left side either when I was starting out, but I surprised myself. It felt very odd and unnatural for a good number of shaves, I'd say at least 12 or 13 of them before the other hand shaving really started to click in well. So while there isn't any right or wrong ways, without giving the various options a reasonable try, you can't be sure what is actually right for you. :)

Top Bottom