What's new

Becoming a Social History fan!

Over the last year or so, my photography has centred more on recording the history, social or otherwise, of my city - Stoke on Trent. I've a personal project capturing the pubs of Stoke, but I also keep abreast of what's happening culturally too.

Sad news is the forthcoming closure of Webberley's book store - 102 years young and a multi-floored maze of categories and covers. First floor also has an extensive range of art materials, the best in the City. The owners are retiring and whether or not the shop could be sold as a going concern is not known, but bricks and mortar is rapidly giving way to internet supply. Either way, my biggest fear is that this grand old lady of Hanley (we've a unique geography here!) will be torn down, or covered in franchise neon.

$webs-copy.jpg

In brighter news, yesterday was a national Heritage day and I revisited a haunt that was once my most loved place outside of the home, Stoke library. No longer a library and bought by private money, refurbishment uncovered 150 year old tiles from the Minton's factory. These blue and white tiles offered a most likely illiterate workforce to enjoy bible tales and folklore by looking at the pictures displayed on all four walls. I've got a number of shots of them on my hard drive, but yesterday was a chance to create another joiner shot of a wonderful piece of architecture.

$mintonfree-copy.jpg
Above the lower door, is a mosaic of William Shakespeare.

Carl

That sounds like a good idea, and a neat project! If I had a whole bunch of 'Rovers Return' kind of spots around me I'd be all over that too! You should run around and get all kinds of neat up close shots of the little things, like looking down the bar, looking up at the entrances maybe? I have thought about doing something similar where I am, though it's only a little village so it would be a small project. I think this place here is wonderful little gem, a nice little hide away from the horrible big city's that surround me.

Here's one side of the downtown:

$3706566996_2128b03fc2_b.jpg

And the neighbor's:

$Amisha_0.jpg

That sounds like a good idea, and a neat project! If I had a whole bunch of 'Rovers Return' kind of spots around me I'd be all over that too! You should run around and get all kinds of neat up close shots of the little things, like looking down the bar, looking up at the entrances maybe? I have thought about doing something similar where I am, though it's only a little village so it would be a small project. I think this place here is wonderful little gem, a nice little hide away from the horrible big city's that surround me.

Here's one side of the downtown:

View attachment 600537

And the neighbor's:

View attachment 600538
BSA, the reason I started the pubs project was because they're closing at an alarming rate. I may need to add I'm teetotal now, but used to find them the social hub of my life!

Cash, we've a couple of hundred left, though dropping away. I find that if you look up, down and anywhere but straight ahead, you get the real view of a place!

Carl

Over the last year or so, my photography has centred more on recording the history, social or otherwise, of my city - Stoke on Trent. I've a personal project capturing the pubs of Stoke, but I also keep abreast of what's happening culturally too.

Sad news is the forthcoming closure of Webberley's book store - 102 years young and a multi-floored maze of categories and covers. First floor also has an extensive range of art materials, the best in the City. The owners are retiring and whether or not the shop could be sold as a going concern is not known, but bricks and mortar is rapidly giving way to internet supply. Either way, my biggest fear is that this grand old lady of Hanley (we've a unique geography here!) will be torn down, or covered in franchise neon.

View attachment 600527

In brighter news, yesterday was a national Heritage day and I revisited a haunt that was once my most loved place outside of the home, Stoke library. No longer a library and bought by private money, refurbishment uncovered 150 year old tiles from the Minton's factory. These blue and white tiles offered a most likely illiterate workforce to enjoy bible tales and folklore by looking at the pictures displayed on all four walls. I've got a number of shots of them on my hard drive, but yesterday was a chance to create another joiner shot of a wonderful piece of architecture.

View attachment 600528
Above the lower door, is a mosaic of William Shakespeare.

Carl
Old buildings are like traditional shaving. "There's no school like old school." Beautiful pictures of beautiful buildings.

I'd be up for a pint of bitter in ANY of those Pubs! My little village has ONE bar, and it feels like a family restaurant and everyone discusses tractors! Not comfortable for me anyway.

great project, sir carl! capturing not only the structures but also the life around them will be interesting!
is there some special thought behind the unique composite treatment in the photos?

Hockney started it. With the bookstore, I felt it matched the semi chaotic çolours and sizes of books even within an organised layout!

I may well get interiors, though many these days are subject to franchise levelling when it comes to decor!

I got a kick out of the thread title, almost expecting to see something about myspace, friendster, orkut, etc. :)
Nice to see these photos of buildings where people gathered in person.

Top Bottom