What's new

Preference for CCW size belt

I am looking to get a belt for my dad. One suitable for a CCW. What do you guys look for in a top quality belt? His CCW changes a lot but figure something that can support an M1911 style 45 on the big end would be great.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
What kind of pants does he wear? I like an inch and three quarter belt (1 3/4) better than an inch and a half, but the 1 3/4 doesn't fit in the belt loops of dress pants but the inch and a half does. The 1 3/4 fits jeans just fine. I have both widths for whatever pants I wear.

And get the thickest belts you can for support. I haven't done any of the new "stiffeners" in a pants belt though. Thickness as opposed to width. I can put my pants down on the floor when I go to bed and it still looks like I'm in 'em.

Look to spend about $80 or above on it. A couple of good places to get started at are:

http://www.thebeltman.net/www/htdocs/index.html

https://www.epsaddlery.com/c-28-belts.aspx

http://www.miltsparks.com/

And don't go cheap on a holster or belt.

Even if he does Mexican carry without a holster the belt is the anchor.

Oh, and a basket weave or other stamping will increase the "stiffness" of the belt.

Last edited:
I like an inch and three quarter belt (1 3/4) better than an inch and a half, but the 1 3/4 doesn't fit in the belt loops of dress pants but the inch and a half does. The 1 3/4 fits jeans just fine. I have both widths for whatever pants I wear.

I guess I must just be too small (5' 10")--even 1½" belts look ridiculous with pretty much any clothing I own. 1¾" with shorts . . . I don't think so! Of course, I live pretty far away from cowboy country. :lol:

I've been looking for good 1¼" carry belt--I guess I just want one that doesn't scream "carry belt."

Thanks for those links, there's some good stuff there!

I have five ccw belts from the belt man, all are well made and have excellent grip for Velcro c clips and in the waist hangers. Highly recommended.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've been thinking about getting a 1 1/2" stamped Codovan color one from belt man. The one I have is plain black in 1 1/2". But El Paso Saddlery does put out some high quality stuff also.

My plain black belt man with an S&W 681 in an original Roy's pancake holster:

proxy.php

Floral carved El Paso Saddlery holster for my Colt Officer's ACP, mag pouch, and cuff case. I don't remember where I got the 1 3/4" basket weave belt, but it's the thickest, sturdiest pants belt I have:

proxy.php

An El Paso Saddlery Mexican Double Loop holster and a money belt for my 1st. gen. Colt SAA:

proxy.php

Last edited:
Those are nice Mike.

I think a 1.5 width will work best. What is an internal stiffener?

I have seen a thin strip of steel to add strength and stiffness. Maybe other materials are used also.

Mike, those El Paso Saddlery holsters are beautiful. Going to order two "US" Pershing model WW2 1911 holsters from them to put my consecutive numbered Les Baers in.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Those are nice Mike.

I think a 1.5 width will work best. What is an internal stiffener?

I've never had one, but the skinny is here on number 10 (click on the internal stiffener link in the title of the question):

http://www.thebeltman.net/www/htdocs/faq.htm#10

I have seen a thin strip of steel to add strength and stiffness. Maybe other materials are used also.

Mike, those El Paso Saddlery holsters are beautiful. Going to order two "US" Pershing model WW2 1911 holsters from them to put my consecutive numbered Les Baers in.

You won't be sorry...great leather. I'm sure you know that they are the people that took over Tio Sam's old S.D. Myres Saddle Company. Great leather, and my floral carved stuff is the carved leather with dyed background...not cheap but great craftsmanship.

http://www.vintagegunleather.com/company-marks/sdmyres_history.html

Last edited:
I have 2 CCW belts and both are 1.5". I'm able to use these with all of my pants and shorts. One is a Talon Tactical Cobra Belt and the other is a leather Galco. I'm partial to the Talon Tactical belt.

I couldn't imagine wearing a thicker belt comfortably all day.

I dress for my locale -- the rural southwest, so I prefer (and can get away with) 1-3/4 belts, even with my suits (or shorts:biggrin1:). They fill the belt loops, and they better support the full-sized 1911s or .357s that I carry.

Last edited:
I am looking to get a belt for my dad. One suitable for a CCW. What do you guys look for in a top quality belt? His CCW changes a lot but figure something that can support an M1911 style 45 on the big end would be great.

Look to find a style you like, in a double layer construction glued & stitched. Some feature fancy advertising but that's mostly bull. You want veg tan cow hide, or horse hide which will get a premium because it's hard to get in belt lengths. The horse hide is more naturally resistant to moisture because of it's density and the density also allows it to be a bit thinner which can be important to some.

Internal stiffeners can be done of leather, various plastics, kydex, or metal and help to distribute the load while preventing belt sag and stretch. The down side is it is a very stiff belt and some folks don't care for that. On a 5" 1911 a 1.5" belt can benefit from it but a 1.75" doesn't really require it.

On 1.25" belts your going to want to have it reinforced. When you look at belts for dress carry it is a compromise to use smaller but certain pants/atmospheres won't allow for anything larger. Heard an old timer refer to it as the hay string effect on narrow belts - that being that at a narrower width it eventually doesn't matter how tight you tie the string it's still going to flop around and you'll lose your pants.

Something most gun folks in general are more aware of is dress and carry gear. The reality is that most folks don't even look up long enough to notice what your wearing let alone the accessories you've got on. It's always best to dress around what the user intends to carry but as with most things in life almost everything is a compromise.

The upside to buying a good quality belt as with most things in life & leather is that it will be your friend for a very long time. Even tinkering with leather myself I never really 'got it' until making my own belt. It's different. Even non carry folks get it after trying a belt. You just can't buy something in a store that will last anymore.

Last edited:
I only ever bought one CCW belt, bull hide with celtic knot stamping and a kydex stiffener from Belt Man. I think it does the job perfectly, and on its own nobody can tell it's a gun belt.

I have a great belt that I got from Sneaky Pete. Just google them and take a look at what they offer. Everything is of excellent quality. :thumbup1:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Our own man "Eaglestroker" makes outstanding gun belts!!!!!!!!
I got four of his belts and all are super.

Top Bottom