What's new

Coffee Du Monde

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
You know what? I really don't know if I've ever made Cafe du Monde coffee with my French press. I've used pour over, drip, and the Vietnamese coffee making doo-dads that are pretty much pour over, but not the French press.

To the store!

As much as I enjoy a "French" roast, or what ever The Powers That Be sell as dark roast, I keep coming back to Community Between Roast.

While I really love my French Press, it is a PITA to use first thing in the morning when I am trying to get ready for the day.

So I just added a Farberware 8 cup percolater to my kitchen collection.

I just fill it up in the evening, set it on one of the burners so I can just turn it on when I first get out of bed and half an hour later, the kitchen has that lovely Cafe aroma and I have enough to fill my 12 ounce mug several times.

But the French Press will always have a spot on weekends and holidays.

I had beignets at Cafe du Monde yesterday. They taste just like zepolles, except they're square. Didn't care for the coffee, though.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Luzianne. The Good Stuff.

Chicory coffee can be an acquired taste. And sometimes a never acquired taste. I happen to like it okay but I like my Columbian 8:00 espresso way better. Cafe Du Monde to me is more of an experience than an essential flavor. I love the place but the coffee to me is different, but not special.

Homemade cafe au lait can be pretty good. Depends.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I must say that I rather enjoy Café du Monde chicory, and I used to keep a can at home. It can be pretty good stuff, especially when you make it strong.

Just about all the Vietnamese places around Houston (and they are legion) use CdM chicory for their ca phe sua da (or ca phe sua nong, i.e., without the ice, which I prefer). I love that stuff. Oddly enough, I do not at all care for sweetened coffee or for café au lait, I go ga-ga when you add sweetened condensed milk.

Just to be clear, it wasn't the chicory part I didn't care for. The coffee itself, as they make it in the cafe, is just nothing special for a cafe. Compared to bagged or canned at home, it's a nice flavor.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Just to be clear, it wasn't the chicory part I didn't care for. The coffee itself, as they make it in the cafe, is just nothing special for a cafe. Compared to bagged or canned at home, it's a nice flavor.

I agree. I got the coffee without milk while at Café du Monde, and I didn't think much of it. Like a Starbucks espresso, it depends on its status as an ingredient. I also expect it depends on going with a beignet that must be excavated from underneath an inch or two of powdered sugar. In any case, it does not stand alone well.

Just as aside, the look on the lady's face when I ordered beignets without sugar and straight coffee. It was somewhere between "son, don't you know what we do here?" and "call the cops." Priceless.

Top Bottom