What's new

Am I the only one who just doesn't like Astras?

I've found them to be good, consistent blades, but there are others that work better for me. Some love them, some don't. As always, YMMV. There are the perfect blades for you out there, keep sampling till you find them. Happy hunting!

This. :thumbup1:
I've found the Astra SPs to be perfectly serviceable and consistent shavers. But, for me....there are definitely blades that give a better shave with less irritation.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
The following is only my personal opinion:

The only problem with Astra SP is that they charge too little for their product. I'm serious. If these started out at a premium price I think the discsussion. The reason a lot of us keep coming back to these "cheap" blades is due to their performance.

While it may be your opinion, prices are generally set based on supply and demand, not the other way around. A higher priced product may have more processes that make it superior and therefore in higher demand, but not simply because it is higher priced.

Over the past 30+ years I've used many different blades. I've never really considered price as a factor in my blade purchases, as they were a relatively small item in my budget. Also, if I thought high price made a blade more attractive, then I'd be using the cartridges in the locked cases along with the truffles.

I have used many of the cheapest blades available and even liked some of them. I used several hundred Red IP's (which I got for $10/hundred including shipping) and liked them, but they did not last very long. Over the past few years I have mostly been using Feather blades because they are the absolute best blade that I have found so far. I get many great shaves from each Feather blade. With the Red IP's it was 2 and out. I just got tired of changing blades every other day. It is not unusual for me to get two weeks or more of daily shaves with a Feather.

But I get it, everyone has their preferences and there is no single blade that is best for everyone.

I tried Astras early on in my wet shaving career - about a year and a half ago. I really wanted to like them based on the price and rave reviews around these parts. They really didn't do well for me. Irritation every time.

Fast forward a year and a half. I received a couple of packs of Astra SPs via a trade and new razor purchase. I really wanted to like them again. They're cheap. They're available several places online. Many others swear by them. My technique has really settled, so I rarely get much in the way of cuts or irritation these days. Today I loaded up a fresh Astra SP in my NEW De Luxe and did my normal 2 pass shave with touchups. It felt pretty sharp and smooth during the shave, but afterward my face and neck burned awfully. I had nicks, burns, and the most irritation I've had in many months. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Here's the moral of the story: There are far too many good blades at good prices to use one that doesn't work well for you.

I tried one and nicked myself and have the worst irritation that persists on a problem area. Sharper and closer shave but worse than a Chinese blade I dry shaved with.

I think I'll try again in a couple of days and store a few to try much later.

They work pretty well for me in my Aristocrat. You may work better for you in a different razor. Some blades are like that.

I still have a lot of blades to try, but the Astra SPs are at the bottom of the list of the 1/2 dozen or so that I have tried.

It seems like these are beloved round these parts, but I just don't get good results with them. I didn't like them in the Merkur 180 I used to use, I don't like them in the Fatip I use now. Am I alone here, or are there other whose miles varied in the negative direction with these blades?

Based on positive reviews a few years ago, I bought several packs of the Superior Platinum. They have never worked well for me - very inconsistent and often leave me very bloody.

Based on positive reviews a few years ago, I bought several packs of the Superior Platinum. They have never worked well for me - very inconsistent and often leave me very bloody.

Sorry to hear about your bad fortune with them. Out of curiosity, what blades do you use that you favor in your razors? Also, have you ever tried an Astra Superior Stainless?

I wasn't in love with the Astra SPs, but they weren't too bad. Much smoother than the Personna Lab Blues I've tried, which I find to be ridiculously unforgiving.

Astra sp in my merkur slant is heavenly. Astra SP in my other DEs, meh...satisfactory. Point being, sometimes its not about the blade, or the razor, but the combo.

Astra sp in my merkur slant is heavenly. Astra SP in my other DEs, meh...satisfactory. Point being, sometimes its not about the blade, or the razor, but the combo.

I think you're spot on. I've been using Astras for a long time, but just recently discovered that they really shine in a Tech. In my supersedes, I get better results with GSBs, Nacets, etc. But an Astra SP in a Tech seems to give me a close but foolproof shave.

Top Bottom