What's new

Hats

As we're all gentlemen appreciative of the finer things in life, I wonder how many are still staunch hat wearers?

I'd never be seen out without my hat, whether one of my fedoras, or in summer, a light and airy panama.

Anyone else share the passion?

By the way, if you're in the UK and in the market, J&P hats in Stoke on Trent have Christy fedoras for £30, rather than the £105 they normally retail at!

Carl

I wear a Tilley cadet cap religiously in the winter and generally go hatless during the other seasons. I don't look particularly good in hats.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'd never be seen out without my hat ...

Who would have guessed it, Chap-in-a-hat!

I share your hat-wearing desires, although for me it's more often a version of a flat-cap ... tweed in winter, linen in summer ... but the fedoras and panamas show up on occasion.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Fedora (wool felt, fur felt, Panama), flat cap (Donegal tweed for cool, Stetson linen for warm), a boatload of ball cap styles, Mad Bomber sheepskin with heavy fleece lining for extreme cold. Never leave home without a hat

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I wear my cowboy hat when I mow the yard. I put a cube of ice underneath to help stay cool. Other than that, I like to wear ball caps from time to time (depending on which team is winning).

Used to wear western types, but changed over to Fedora hats 8-10 years ago. Many more positive comments about the fedora style hat, which is not that common here in E. Texas. Another plus, my wife can easily spot me from a distance in a large store by the style hat I wear. It is straw in hot weather, felt in cooler weather, and a cheap cotton/nylon mesh for yard work.

Certainly a nice selection here fellows! I used to wear a hat in the 80s, more to emphasise whatever fringe I had in the day. Then I reverted to baseball caps and woolies in the winter.

Now, as has been mentioned, it's my trademark!

Keep the hats coming!

I used to wear ball caps ~90% of the time. Got a couple of bucket hats for yard work, but never really liked the way they looked. And I got a couple of cowboy hats that I enjoy, but they obviously are limited to what you're wearing (NOT with shorts...at least for guys).

I recently got a Tilley Hemp Hat, and I love the thing! I wear it into work daily (removing once inside, of course). It keeps the rain off my head when it's raining, and the sun off my efficient heat sink when it's not. :) I may get a winter Tilley as well for the colder weather.

Lifetime warranty for Tilley's too. Use one for my nature rambles and shoots - great for keeping sun out of my eyes too!

I wear a hat most days. I have several:
Fedora ( felt, Panama), flat cap (Donegal tweed, cotten), a few berets, Tilley, ski hats, and then some ball caps for yard work.

Plus all the interesting hats in re-enacting, tri-corns, kepi's, shako's, slouch, Victorian smoking caps.

Always, whenever outdoors. Usually a Mexican palm during the summer and an Akubra when the weather is cooler.

On a recent backpacking trip I took a Henschel Breezer that worked well, and I've been wearing it fairly often. Other hats include a Tilley canvas, a Guatemalan palm in a fedora style and a Stetson felt in what I think would be considered an American western style, but with a somewhat narrower brim - actually quite a bit like what Carl (or his avatar) is wearing.

Last edited:
Never leave the house without a hat on. Most are Akubras, some customers and a few Stetsons. Fedora's and outback/western style.
Johnny

strop

Now half as wise
Same for me. Never go out without a hat. Usually fedora style Panama in summer and fur felt in winter. Occasionally a flat cap of some kind or another. I really feel naked without one. They really do help you stay warm and cool respectively.

If I am out and about I have a fedora on my head. Right now I have 2 Stetson Stratoliners, a Stetson Whippet, a Biltmore President, a no name wool fedora for puttering about the yard and a couple nice Panamas. I just do not feel fully dressed without a fedora on my noggin. Tonight (I work night shift) I am wearing my Caribou Stratoliner.

after a really bad sun burn several years ago on my nose and ears, I have Doctor's (and wife's) orders to never leave the house without a hat on. In summer it's a panama (I have 2 currently) and in the fall/winter it's a felt fedora for dress and a nice bozeman crushable for casual. When it's really cold I switch to a gottman goretex/wool with some nice ear flaps.
I wear a baseball cap when mowing the lawn, as I just haven't found a good cool hat I like for this at this time.
I'm glad hats are somewhat back in fashion. I get lots of comments, and when I first started especially with my panama and fedora, I get lots of complements from African American gentleman (and women) in the neighborhood and work. I don't know how many conversations I've had that start with that's a hat just like my dad/grandfather wore.

My living room has hat racks on the walls. All 32 slots are filled with mostly Western and fedoras, with a couple of pork pies for good measure. My favorites are Borsalino, Rand and Stetson. I also never leave the house (or any other place) without a hat on my head.