What's new

Hats

Hi,

Time for me to get out my vintage Stetson Open Road Panama! :)

All my other Panamas (3) are modern. And, I have misplaced my Biltmore straw as well. I think I may have left it at a friends guest room up in PA last fall. Well, if I did, it is still there when I visit later on this year.

Stan

Not a big hat wearer, but my 4 year old loves them. He already has quite the collection. His favorite style is the panama. He also loves to wear his police hat, with real badge, that his uncle the cop gave him.

$8bafe164947fa1d7c73fe785e7d15757.jpg

President Truman in a Panama

Cary Grant sporting a Fur Felt Fedora ...

Attachments

• $590_grant_quotable.jpg
    $590_grant_quotable.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 172

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Oh, cool. I'd been on that site before, and the price is still reasonable in US dollars. I think I know what will start my Summer hat collection! lol

I called into Hills Hats yesterday. They don't have their shop open yet but have a shop front at the factory still operating.
I had my hands on a Milford and liked it a lot but got The Squatter oilkin hat instead.
The purpose for this hat was winter walking of the dogs on Petone beach (in windy Wellington) so needed to handle wind and rain. The squatter has a chin cord so went with that one. The brim is semi stiff but the top is soft and crushable, so can got flat in a bag the pushed back into shape.

They did not have the oilskin in the shop except the Milford but just grabbed one out of the factory for me.
They hope to have their shop open by the end of May so I'll be back to check them out.

$20160430_085439.jpg

$20160430_091433.jpg

$20160430_085555.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
My fitness routine is having my dog walk me. Wearing a hat is a pretty much a requirement lest my ears get fried off by the sun. This pretty much got me over the fear of how the hat made me look. Hat is good . . . fried ears bad.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
My fitness routine is having my dog walk me. Wearing a hat is a pretty much a requirement lest my ears get fried off by the sun. This pretty much got me over the fear of how the hat made me look. Hat is good . . . fried ears bad.

My dogs won't leave me alone until they get their weekend walk at the beach. The weather does not worry them at all.
We went there one day and it was just overcast, within a few minutes it was in a hail storm. Yep dogs still playing in the water and would not come back, labs go figure.
Having a hat for fit for purpose trumps style on days like that.

strop

Now half as wise
Looks like the perfect hat for what you need.

Gotta love a lab. When ours was a pup we read and looked at videos on training. One trainer commented that he used a spray bottle of water as a deterrent of unwanted behavior for most dogs, but that it wouldn't work for a lab. He said "Think about it. A lab will jump into freezing water, swim 25 yards to get a bird, swim back, crawl out of the water, shake off, and beg to do it again!"

I called into Hills Hats yesterday. They don't have their shop open yet but have a shop front at the factory still operating.
I had my hands on a Milford and liked it a lot but got The Squatter oilkin hat instead.
The purpose for this hat was winter walking of the dogs on Petone beach (in windy Wellington) so needed to handle wind and rain. The squatter has a chin cord so went with that one. The brim is semi stiff but the top is soft and crushable, so can got flat in a bag the pushed back into shape.

They did not have the oilskin in the shop except the Milford but just grabbed one out of the factory for me.
They hope to have their shop open by the end of May so I'll be back to check them out.

View attachment 655234

View attachment 655235

View attachment 655236

Excellent! I ordered the Hills Hats McKenzie from Village Hat Shop, and picked up the Tilley LTM6 Airflo in black. I checked the local places that carry Tilley hats, none had the LTM6 in black, though. I'm pretty set now on summer hats for all weather and occasions. :thumbup:

My first hat. I bought it mainly for hiking, but I'll see how it works when I'm out and about in the sun, too. The problem is, I only have a scooter here so I don't know how I'm going to carry it around conveniently.

It's hand-made from natural fibres in Yuanli Township, Miaoli County, Taiwan. I originally thought it might be a Tamsui hat, but apparently those are made from different fibres.

It's just a cheap one to start with--NT$900. The edge of the brim is sewn, not woven back. There were others there (in Yuanli) which were woven more finely and had a woven-back brim, but they were around NT$3,000. If this one works out, I'll probably go back and get a nicer one in the future.

$Hat.jpg

I never wore hats till about 15 years ago when I got physicians orders to wear them (light skinned and health risk related- I like hats but just never seemed to actually wear them.) Now I never go out without one. About 60% if the time I rotate between 3 Akubras - 3 Banjo Patterson's to be precise - pretty much a rabbit felt fedora (2 have been modified slightly). :thumbup1: For summer or warm days it's panamas (a couple of Cuencas for out on the deck or walking, 4 Montecristi- 2 blocked by Art Fawcett and 2 by Gus Miller). For more formal wear I have about 4 customs by Vintage Silhouettes. I higly recommend Vintage Silhouettes and Art Fawcett if you want a good custom. He's great to work with and reasonable for 100% beaver.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Excellent! I ordered the Hills Hats McKenzie from Village Hat Shop, and picked up the Tilley LTM6 Airflo in black. I checked the local places that carry Tilley hats, none had the LTM6 in black, though. I'm pretty set now on summer hats for all weather and occasions. :thumbup:

Hope you like the Hills, the McKenzie looks nice.

I have my eye on this one for summer but The Tilley LTM6 sounds like a great hat for summer.
I will have a closer look at that one when our summer comes around again

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope you like the Hills, the McKenzie looks nice.

I have my eye on this one for summer but The Tilley LTM6 sounds like a great hat for summer.
I will have a closer look at that one when our summer comes around again

I've worn the Tilley a few times already, and I'm really liking it a ton. Similar in features to the Optimum, just missing the Legionnaire's screen piece. I went with the McKenzie since I wanted the wider brim over all. It should be here in the next week or so.