What's new

blade angel

So far I have read 2 suggestions to get the proper blade angel:
1) place the head of the razor on your skin and lower it until the blade makes contact.
2) place the safety bar on the skin and raise it until the blade makes contact.

I have tried both and found that lowering the razor leads to a great shave, and some nasty razor burn. To me; raising the razor is by far the best way to go. You may need an extra pass but at least you still have some flesh remaining on your face.

I am just wondering what your preference is and why.

Never really had any experience with either.. I just put the blade to my face, in an angel that looks and feel right. After a couple of shaves I figure out the best angle and just keep using that one.

when you use an angel hair brush as I do (theyre self lathering, cleaning and drying), you can rub your face against the corner of a door and get bbs.

sorry - I use both depending on which bitty of my face I think, although I dont really notice

As you have found out, there is a certain range of angles at which a blade will cut. It is up to you to find the optimum angle for your face and beard. When I first started DE shaving, I'd start with the razor's head against my face, handle parallel to the floor. I'd then lower the handle, while applying a downward stroke (using no pressure against my face), until the blade would cut my whiskers. The only times I had razor burn was if I pressed the razor against my face, I didn't prep my beard before shaving, or made too many passes and just irritated the heck out of my face.

-Clarke

It may depend on the razor design. Starting with the top and lowering the handle until the blade makes contact with the skin may result in a different angle (and thus aggressiveness) compared to starting with the safety bar and raising the handle. See post #22 in this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=45803. Pressure also can make a difference.

In any case, you seem to be fully aware of how to go about the angle aspect and how to find a good solution, so you are fine.

And yes, make sure the blade angel is watching over your blade angle.

Best - MM

You guys are all wrong...the blade angel comes at night...you take the blood from your last bad shave and sprinkle it on the door post. Then, you say the magic words and go to bed. If the blade angel comes, you wake up and find a sample pack under your pillow.

All this stuff is in the Bible...I think probably in Leviticus or something.

I know I certainly hope I have a blade angel watching over me every time I shave.

:lol::lol::lol:ROFL:lol::lol::lol:

A great way to get proper angle is to hold the razor at the very tip of the handle with three fingers (two is better, but somewhat harder to achieve).

This does 2 things for you:

1. It forces you to make strokes with your arm instead of your wrist.
2. It won't allow you to add pressure, and the head of the razor will automatically find the right angle.

So far I have read 2 suggestions to get the proper blade angel:
1) place the head of the razor on your skin and lower it until the blade makes contact.
2) place the safety bar on the skin and raise it until the blade makes contact.

I have tried both and found that lowering the razor leads to a great shave, and some nasty razor burn. To me; raising the razor is by far the best way to go. You may need an extra pass but at least you still have some flesh remaining on your face.

I have only one razor (a Merkur 27) but I've found exactly the same as you. Especially when shaving sensitive areas, I find that I need to raise the razor from the safety bar in order to maintain an angle that won't cause irritation. The higher I then raise the razor the more aggressive it becomes.

You guys are all wrong...the blade angel comes at night...you take the blood from your last bad shave and sprinkle it on the door post. Then, you say the magic words and go to bed. If the blade angel comes, you wake up and find a sample pack under your pillow.

All this stuff is in the Bible...I think probably in Leviticus or something.

+1 :lol::lol::lol::lol:

And the magic words are.............................................

Just take it slow and LISTEN to the blade. No joking....you can tell by the sound of the blade on your beard just how aggresive it is. As our faces have many contours, we have to always be mindful of the angle. I use sound more then anything.....As always...NO PRESSURE.

Regards,

I found the best blade angle thus:

Switch off the radio, turn off the tap - you need quiet for this. While moving the razor down my cheek I listen for the "Ratch" sound the blade makes as it cuts my beard. Try again with the handle tilted more upwards (a more obtuse angle). Tilt increasingly upwards until the razor gildes over my cheek not cutting at all (no "Ratch" sound). Then tilt the razor slightly downwards (a more acute angle) so it begins to cut.

As for the blade angel:

Place a used blade under your pillow. The next morning you will find a fresh one there if the blade angel (a relative of the tooth fairy) has visited you.

I found the best blade angle thus:

Switch off the radio, turn off the tap - you need quiet for this. While moving the razor down my cheek I listen for the "Ratch" sound the blade makes as it cuts my beard. Try again with the handle tilted more upwards (a more obtuse angle). Tilt increasingly upwards until the razor gildes over my cheek not cutting at all (no "Ratch" sound). Then tilt the razor slightly downwards (a more acute angle) so it begins to cut.

It's all in the sound at first. The angle will be in a constant state of flux as you shave the contours of your face. If it sounds to agressive, just adjust the angle until you are comfortable. Don't worry about BBS every time. Practice, listen to what your blade is telling you, and in no time at all it will become second nature.

Regards

The best blade angle in the world won't stop razor burn, nics and cuts if you are using pressure!!!!!!!!!!! Especially on the neck. Close neck shave = good blade angle and no pressure.

Regards,

The best blade angle in the world won't stop razor burn, nics and cuts if you are using pressure!!!!!!!!!!! Especially on the neck. Close neck shave = good blade angle and no pressure.

Regards,

Thank you for saying no pressure, again. I find that I have a tendency to apply pressure if my face (especially the neck and chin) are not really smooth after 3 passes. I have to keep telling myself to take time and use good technique. The problem is that I am still learning the technique.

Just takes a little time my friend. We all had to learn it. When shaving your neck, hold the razor at the end of the handle like a pair of tweezers. This will help keep the pressure off.

Regards,

Top Bottom