What's new

History of shaving

proxy.php

What made me laugh so hard was the electric shaver "And now with advances in technology, shaving has become a joy rather than a chore. Tripe Action Free Float system blablabla". What a BS, traditional shaving aka the "primitive" way of shaving beats modern shaving!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Super Speeds are decorative handle disposables? Bullocks.

More research, boys. Now I can't believe a word of it.

Whenever I try to trace the history back through the third millenium it falls apart. There's plenty who'll say there are cave drawings and razors, but I can't find any that refer to proper primary sources. On the other side there's a lot of controversy over the gender of graves, and calling certain artifacts shaving razors when they closely resemble more recent, if crude, dinner knives[SUP]1[/SUP]. And these same razors are found in definite female burials[SUP]2[/SUP]. The earliest primary sources (e.g. notes from archaeological digs) I can find indicate the mid third millenium, by which time, the Egyptians were capable of smelting, and forging objects like mirrors from cast discs[SUP]3[/SUP]. It seems odd at these late dates (especially 1473 when the axe-like "razors" were still in use) that their razors are still so crude. Could these be depilatory scrapers?

1. Tonsor Humanus: Razor andToilet-knife in Antiquity; George Boon;
2. "[Hatnofer, an elderly woman who lived around 1533-1473] also owned a bronze razor, which was found with other cosmetic implements inside a basket in her tomb" Life Along the Nile: Three Egyptians of Ancient Thebes; Catharine H Roehrig; The Metropolitan Museum of Art Bulletin; Summer 2002
3. The Oriental Institute Nubian Expedition; Geoff Emberling, Bruce Williams, Justine James; 2007

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure their editing department missed the mistake where the photo of the cartridge "decorative handles" and the picture of the Super Speeds need to be swapped. Then this makes a little more sense.

Today I learned the 1904 had a Mach 3 head, no wonder it took so long to catch on. He had to redesign it into the Old before anybody wanted it.

If I get one of those 1950's "disposable" razors I think I might keep it.

Call me a cheap bastard if you want.

Top Bottom