What's new

Feather Artist AC. Folding or non-folding?

Hello,

I'm trying to decide between the feather AC RG razor in one of the two versions: folding and non-folding. I've read the thread about the non-folding being difficult to manouver and not worth it. In the other hand, as I'm planning to move into straights in a more economically prosperous future, I thought it could be fun to try the non-folding version, as it's completely different to anything else. Does anyone have both versions and help me with my decision? I really don't know which one to pick. I'm going to stick with it for at least 6 months, the time it will take me to save money for the straight razor setup.

Thank you!

While i have not tried the non-folding AC i absolutely love my western style folding AC's. Was tempted to get a non-folding one but was told the balance is a bit harder due to it not having adjustable scales to balance out the razor. Its also said to be pretty heavy on the blade side of the razor and easier to nick. That said i haven't ruled out buying one, but its not a priority. You might find either will be good for you, or bad for you, no real way to know unless you use them. Some people can't use either due to the sharp blades and precise technique needed.

Isn't it just like using a regular DE; insofar as:

The edge on the blade was put there by a machine, and from what I've heard, the edge is not as sharp as a properly honed straight razor. You're still using a DE blade, or something similar.

Having only used a DE razor for the past 20 months, I'm not certain, but don't these types of razors have a different feel from "the real thing?"

Just wonderin'...

I own a folding AC, as well as 3 non-folding. The last time I shaved with the folding version was over a year ago. I also have no problems with the balance of the non-folding AC.

The edge on the blade was put there by a machine, and from what I've heard, the edge is not as sharp as a properly honed straight razor. You're still using a DE blade, or something similar.

I think you might be the only person ever to have said this. By all accounts, the edge on a Feather AC is sharper than a properly honed straight razor, and some would say much sharper. The only straight razor users that have used a Feather and claim to have gotten as sharp an edge have been honing for many years, have put a lot of money into expensive hones that more casual straight users may never own, and haven't been happy enough with the results to do this routinely. Many people prefer the edge on a traditional straight to the edge of a feather, but not many, if any, would say that its because the straight razor is sharper.

I know quite a few feather users who would tell you that when the feather blade is about as sharp as a regular straight, they'll replace the blade.

Top Bottom