What's new

what fragrance would this character use

Frumpy old male poli sci professor at an East coast US univ. who isnt looking to attract much younger females but just wants a comfortable classic scent that would appeal to his interaction with his colleagues and also students as something an old professor would wear. Im thinking something more sophisticated than a common drugstore scent but subtle and subdued. Maybe a leather or tobacco smell. Ive been reading about vetivier and thats a green smell not what I want. Not looking for a fresh green grassy smell. Woodsy or earthy ok but fresh and grassy, no, too light and fresh. Im just thinking this is the sort of character/scent I want for me. Ive never smelled English Leather but i read the current version on amazon isnt up to par anyway. Old Spice abd Clubman are too common. Doesnt want to smell like a barbershop. This guys a tenured professor and has been around, probably tried lots of scents on trips all over, attends conferences etc. Might have picked up some classic scent abroad or going to fancy shops in hotels yrs ago.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I read about Creed GIT. I know some great celebrities are tied to it ie Tom Hanks, Cary Grant, Stevie Wonder. Ive been googling. But I don't really want to smell like a fresh grassy outdoors area. It's a complex scent Ive read with other things in it that come up and amaze people apparently. The Pure Havane and Pure Leather scents also look interesting but I wonder if theyre too focused-- in this day and age if it they are almost exclusively cigar or leather scents some people wont like it -- anti smokers and anti leather goods people. I like cigar and leather scents though, but I don't want to specialize in either one too much. Some people might think Im smoking cigars around them and get upset. I haven't read about the other listed scents yet, though I read that there's a Tom Ford Vetivier scent called Grey Vetivier I think. But I read Vetivier is a grassy fresh scent. But the Tom Ford for Men scent Im sure is a diff scent. Oro 1920 I know is expensive but I have no idea about the scent, I just started googling.

I second Knize Ten. Old world leather. You can also go with Lutensian cuir mauresque or Dior's cuir cannage which are versions of K10. Cuiron is too. If you want to stick with the leather route, Chanel's Cuir de Russie is elegant and a bit sweeter than the K10 versions. Cuir Ottoman is ultra elegant but a bit on the feminine side.

As far as vetivers go, not all are green. Sycomore is sweet and woody while Mona di Orio's is smoky and spicy.

If you can get your hands on a good bottle of Montale's Dark Aoud, you will have the most ancient, dark, alive and mysterious frag. But only an alchemist would wear it :)

What do u think of R de Capucci (the 1985 AS). Its discontinued but still around. I have a bottle of it and like it. Fragrancia says if I like it Id like Riv Gauche. But i dont think it fits my description here because its a heavy intense sent, a little overbearing. A professor in a small office wouldnt use it for work hrs I dont think.

Last edited:
If I understand you properly, you simply need to find something which you like and wear it. Unless you wear way too much, it shouldn't cause a problem with those around you.

Aramis Tuscany
DR Harris Windsor

FWIW...I have Rive Gauche and I don't find it to be a scent that's overbearing or terribly noticeable unless someone is close to me. I also go easy on the trigger with my fragrances. Too much of any scent is tough on the nostrils.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
These are not a leather fragrance, but Tom Ford Gray Vetiver, Czech and Speake Oxford and Cambridge (classic lavender mint). Penhaligon's English Fern might also be a good choice.Cheers, Steve

The old R de Capucci (discontinued) that I have, which I read has similarity to Riv Gauche, is the heavy scent I meant. Ive never tried Riv Gauche so have no opinions on it. I tried Paco Rabanne Pour Homme yesterday and found it similar to Capucci, heavy. Paco is considered an 80s powerhouse scent but not as much as Drakkar, I read. Drakkar is too heavy for my "character" here. Even in low dose its a heavy scent. I dont see a prof in his little office wearing Drakkar or Paco. The scent has to be more subtle and lighter.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I read about Creed GIT. I know some great celebrities are tied to it ie Tom Hanks, Cary Grant, Stevie Wonder. Ive been googling. But I don't really want to smell like a fresh grassy outdoors area. It's a complex scent Ive read with other things in it that come up and amaze people apparently. The Pure Havane and Pure Leather scents also look interesting but I wonder if theyre too focused-- in this day and age if it they are almost exclusively cigar or leather scents some people wont like it -- anti smokers and anti leather goods people. I like cigar and leather scents though, but I don't want to specialize in either one too much. Some people might think Im smoking cigars around them and get upset. I haven't read about the other listed scents yet, though I read that there's a Tom Ford Vetivier scent called Grey Vetivier I think. But I read Vetivier is a grassy fresh scent. But the Tom Ford for Men scent Im sure is a diff scent. Oro 1920 I know is expensive but I have no idea about the scent, I just started googling.

GIT is a favorite of mine. I don't get fresh/grassy at all. It's more citrusy, floral and settles into a beautiful, masculine smooth sandalwood. My wife finds Tom Ford Grey Vetiver to be grassy.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will just buy one at a time, over time, to start out. If I buy any of these contenders I dont think I can go wrong. Then I can keep my eyes out in exclusive shops where they sell some of the others, to try them.

I picture this professor sitting in an over-stuffed leather chair, puffing on a pipe. It seems that something along the lines of leather and tobacco might be a good fit.

Top Bottom