What's new

Merkur 34C vs 1964 Gillette Superspeed

I've been using a Merkur 34C, since June, but a barber friend of mine recommended a Gillette Superspeed. Would there be a major difference in shaving? What blades work best with a Superspeed?

The mid-1950s Super Speeds come, more or less, in three versions: blue tip (for lighter beards), medium (no color on tip), and red tip (for heavier beards). I have both the medium and red tip, but I don't detect any appreciable difference between them. Both of them provide very smooth shaves, but--even with a Feather blade--I find the shaves to be MUCH milder than even my EJ 89, supposedly a mild razor, with a less sharp than Feather blade. I myself would expect the SS's to shave MUCH milder than the Merkur, which many regard as somewhat more aggressive than the EJ89. I'll be interested to see what others say.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I've been using a Merkur 34C, since June, but a barber friend of mine recommended a Gillette Superspeed. Would there be a major difference in shaving? What blades work best with a Superspeed?

The 64' Superspeed is my birth year razor. Mine seems more aggressive to me than my Merkur 33C, Merkur 180, Merkur 25C. It also seems more aggressive than my 57' Superspeed, 66' superspeed and 40's Superspeed.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Get one and see for yourself ... we know you will end up with one, so the sooner the better! :tongue_sm Great little razors, highly thought of around here.

Top Bottom