What's new

Fatboy vs Triangle Tech and Flare Tip

8+ months in, I had one of my worst shaves in months with a Fatboy set on 3 and a Crystal blade. I used the same soap I've been using for several weeks (TOBS Avocado) and today's lather was great. The result was several nicks, a little weeper and the unhappiness of the right side of my neck. Mr. Clubman let me know that he was displeased, too!

By contrast, shaves with a Triangle Tech (ball-end) and Flare Tip are smooth, easy and irritation-free.

In theory, should a Fatboy on 3 be roughly the same aggressiveness as the Tech and Tip? Could mine be maladjusted (and angry at the world)?

I have another Fatboy (cased) that I haven't used yet and I'll probably try it, but I'm beginning to think the FB isn't for me. This is the 4th shave with it and I inevitably end up with a shave ranging from not-great to painful. Maybe a Slim would be better...

Could be adjustables are not for you, as it is YMMV.

I have always had better shaves from my non-adjustables (New, Old, Tech, Superspeed etc)

On the Fatboy...Settings

1-3 Mild
4-6 Normal
7-9 Aggressive

As described in the original instructions.
It should work for you if the razor isn't damaged...make sure you finish the last hard quarter turn/twist to lock the blade in place.
Or, try a milder blade. The beauty of the adjustable is that it is...well adjustable.

On the Fatboy...Settings

1-3 Mild
4-6 Normal
7-9 Aggressive

As described in the original instructions.
It should work for you if the razor isn't damaged...make sure you finish the last hard quarter turn/twist to lock the blade in place.
Or, try a milder blade. The beauty of the adjustable is that it is...well adjustable.

Yes, everything is "loaded and locked" (I never understood why that phrase is turned around).

I suppose I could try a Derby Extra or some such. There's no visible damage, so maybe...just maybe (this) adjustable isn't for me.

I was just wondering about the relative aggressiveness. Sure, 1-3 is "mild", but is that "mild in terms of what it could be" or "mild in terms of the Gillette pantheon"? How does "3" compare to "Triangle Tech" or "Flare Tip"?

It could be over clocked (the adjustment ring spun all the way around) Check the blade gap at 1 it should be almost no gap at 9 about an 1/8 inch.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
There's more to aggression than blade gap. Exposure, weight, balance, and maybe even the phase of the moon matter.

Set it on four - five, then find yourself a blade that works. (Samples.....) I know YMMV, but the Crystal/Derby choices don't leave me the most optimistic about you getting your best shave....

I have and use several Techs, Super Sppeds of all varieties, a Fat Boy and a Slim. For me I would say an adjustable on 3-4 is about like a Tech, on 5 is about like most Super Speeds. I suggest a "set it and forhet it approach" with whatever blade seems to work best in most razors. Set it at 3 or 4 and use it. If you are looking for more kick it up to 5, 6, 7.

Mine likes Lab Blues, Gillette 7OC Yellows, etc. Smooth on #5

Set it on four - five, then find yourself a blade that works. (Samples.....) I know YMMV, but the Crystal/Derby choices don't leave me the most optimistic about you getting your best shave....

Hmm... I'm in a Restraint, so my blade choices are limited. I'll root around and see if I have another something in the blade drawer. I do know that I've got some Wilkies and, I think, some Rapiras hanging around...maybe a tuck of 7OC, too, all from a previous passaround.

I have and use several Techs, Super Sppeds of all varieties, a Fat Boy and a Slim. For me I would say an adjustable on 3-4 is about like a Tech, on 5 is about like most Super Speeds. I suggest a "set it and forhet it approach" with whatever blade seems to work best in most razors. Set it at 3 or 4 and use it. If you are looking for more kick it up to 5, 6, 7.

Thanks - this is the approximation I was looking for.

A fair number of them are adjusted wrong or have crooked safety bars. Any little thing like that can make it not smooth.

On 3 my Fatboy is quite mild. I usually set it between 6 and 8.

This is very much YMMV. I love the feel and balance of the fatboy in my hands but I could never get a good shave with one. Lots of other people on this board love them so they are very popular. I sold both of mine.

I would try your other one just to be sure.

I have 2 Fatboys, one for home and one for travel. Either set on 5 with a GSB is shaving Nirvana.

I suppose it's possible the head geometry is not geared to your technique. That would surprise me though. I am now shaving 7 days a week with my Fatties!

Unfortunately, I've found that the suspicions of others are correct - it looks like the safety bar on one side is ever-so-slightly bent. In this case, it's a mildly defective razor, which is a bummer. Not sure what to do with it...maybe I'll try to bend it back and if I miss, it's not a terrible loss. Any hints?

How bad is it? Post some pics, there are ways of straightening them. I have never straightened a DE myself have seen others who have. I did have success straightening 2 Gem 1912s.

Well, here are some pics - apologies for the quality, but the fisheye of the iPhone with the no-lightbox arrangement means this is the best I get on short notice. In case it matters, the adjustment is set to 1 and it's locked down with the extra twist.

In the first image, you can see that one side-view looks good.

$IMG_0866.JPG

In the second, you can see that the other side-view does not look good, as the left-side safety bar is crimped.

$IMG_0871.JPG

In the third, you can see the "homemade slant" blade gap issue that cut me up.

$FullSizeRender.jpg

I'll try the butter-knife trick, but first I think I'll let it soak in some hot water to heat the metal just a bit. I'm hoping that will lessen any tendency to brittleness.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
They were machined out of brass, so they are pretty soft. I've successfully adjusted the safety bars on several different Gillettes, including the Fat Boy. Put some tape on a screwdriver to try and avoid gouging the plating and just bend it straight. Your pictures show which way to go.

Top Bottom