What's new

1pc vs 2 pc vs 3pc which do you prefer and why?

Three piece for me, it's a beautifully elegant design, no moving parts, easy to clean, packs flat for travel, you can swap handles. TTOs just don't appeal to me, the heads look too cumbersome.

RFBs and Deluxe NEWs??
.... meh ....

RFB..,meh...??????

$jb_what_happening.gif

Last edited:
While I enjoy shaving with examples of each, my top two razors (a Weber Bulldog ARC and a triangle Fat Handled Tech) are three piece.

1 Slim, 1 Old, 4 News, & an ATT (in the mail, damn you B&B). Guess what I prefer. I still think the TTO adjustables are cool tech, but I'll take ease of disassembly/storage/cleaning, optional handle change, etc. that I get from 3 piece razors.

Although I don't own any TTOs, my 2 piece and 3 piece razors have their merits. As mentioned earlier by others - 2 piece is easier for blade changes but 3 piece allows for handle substitutions. I remove the blade after every shave so the two pieces are marginally faster but an R41 with a bulldog handle is my second favorite razor right now.

Last edited:
To use,2 piece #88 NEW,3 piece NEW,3 piece ABC Pocket Edition,3 piece Canadian Pocket Edition,excellent shaves,easy to get really clean after,also looks nice on shelf.
To look at (and play about with :001_rolle),adjustable TTO's!,shaves not up to the OC's standard,and needs lots of love and attention to keep perfect (inside and out,if used as a daily driver),but look stunning!.

Last edited:
I've been considering this lately. Up to now I'd had this idea that 3pc was used in older antique razors and was "lower tech" than TTO designs. I assumed twist to open and adjustable models had 'replaced' the 3 piece because it was 'better' and more advance technology. I have a Slim I've mostly used for years now, because it was adjustable and TTO. I own a vintage Tech for years which I've largely ignored till now... my assumption was it was simpler, lower tech, and couldn't be as 'good' as my slim.

As I've been getting more into DE safety razors and reading the forums, I noticed how much people loved their Gillette techs and contemporary 3 piece models. Perhaps I had some incorrect assumptions?

I've come to appreciate that a 3 piece razor has an interesting feature where you can swap your choice of handle onto a different head that you prefer! A good contemporary stainless steel handle with grippy knurling might be just the thing to add to my kit.

Now I realize that a head (in good condition) in the antique store might be worth a closer look after all (I had assumed it was only good for replacement parts because there was no handle). A whole new set of possibilities has opened up!

Last edited:
Three-piece, for the handle options, Alex.
But I don't understand the concern regarding blade changes; for me, the difficulty in blade changes results from the (in some cases two sets of) paper wrappers! Setting a blade in any of the choices seems easy to me.

Tom

Well I'm no expert but I like the solid lock up of a 3 piece and the way the blade is clamped very rigidly along its length.
I find TTO heads have a characteristic hollow raspy sound as they're cutting which sounds a little "tinny".

Cheers
Steve

2 Piece. Currently stuck on my Merkur 34C with 3 piece a close second. My only TTO experience was with a Fat Boy and never got used to the head being a little harder to get under my nose. It't the shave that matters; I would use a TTO if it gave me the best results.

If I had to choose 3-piece are the most versatile and easiest to keep clean. There are many 2-piece and TTOs that shave just as well. Luckily we access to all varieties.

I find the whole blade exchanging with a 3 piece to be a bit of a pain. I recently got an old Gillette Old Type OC with no date code or serial number, and it shaves great but when I try to take the blade out it sticks to the plate sometimes. The blade doesn't have wax on it either. The same thing happens with my fatip piccolo too. If I didn't pay close attention, I'd have sliced my finger open trying to get the blade out by now. :blushing:

Top Bottom