What's new

Autostrop Razor Blade

Hello

last week I bought Autostorp razor from ebay. I was under impression that Feather FHS-5 Hi-Stainless blades (http://www.connaughtshaving.com/fhs5.html) work with any Autostrop razor,I tried and it does not fit the razor. Are there more than one type of Autostrop razors? Which Autostrop razor takes this blade without any modification?

Hello

last week I bought Autostorp razor from ebay. I was under impression that Feather FHS-5 Hi-Stainless blades (http://www.connaughtshaving.com/fhs5.html) work with any Autostrop razor,I tried and it does not fit the razor. Are there more than one type of Autostrop razors? Which Autostrop razor takes this blade without any modification?

No there are just some that won't fit.

It all depends on how the little tabs are laid out.

All of mine take the Feather blades except a VC3.

proxy.php

I have to modify the Feather by grinding out the nub of the "N" looking character.

Just the luck of the draw as to whether you wind up with one that won't take a Feather. If it's any consolation they are kinda rare and chances are you won't get another.

The best ones to get for actual shaving are the VB1 and VC1 these don't use the little tabs and will take the Feathers no question and you can even modify a Gem blade to work in these ones.

Last edited:
No there are just some that won't fit.

It all depends on how the little tabs are laid out.

All of mine take the Feather blades except a VC3.

proxy.php

I have to modify the Feather by grinding out the nub of the "N" looking character.

Just the luck of the draw as to whether you wind up with one that won't take a Feather. If it's any consolation they are kinda rare and chances are you won't get another.

The best ones are the VB1 and VC1. You can modify a Gem blade to work in these ones.

Thanks Valley. I think it is the same that you posted the picture of. that dot on the left does not match. Sorry got little confused, but which one should i look for on the bay that will take Feather blade without modification?

And if I don't get one, what are you using to grind that "N" nub?

There are 4 basic types of Valet Auto-Strop Razors:

The VB1/VC1 - the blade slides in and is held by a spring clip. This will take the Feather blades, as well as a standard Gem style SE blade with the spine removed.

The VB2/VC2 - Has a blade cover that is hinged at the side, The word "VALET" is on the blade cover and there are little posts/tabs that fit into the "VALET" cutout in the original blades. The idea behind the posts/tabs was to make it more difficult for after market blade manufacturers. There are thousands of different patterns these posts/tabs may be in, varying from one razor to another. The Feather blades will fit most of these patterns in the VC2's, but there are a few that they will not fit.

The VC3 has clips on either side of the blade to hold it as well as the posts/tabs. However, there are not as many different patterns, and most specimens of this model will take the Feather blades.

The VC4 is the same as the VC3 with a safety bar instead of an open comb. Feather blades should work in this model.

If the Feather blade doesn't fit at first, try flipping it over. If you have a VC2 and it won't fit either way, you may be limited to original Valet NOS blades.

If you don't mind attacking the razor with a Dremel tool, you can simply grind off the offending tabs/posts.

--Bob

Last edited:
Thanks Valley. I think it is the same that you posted the picture of. that dot on the left does not match. Sorry got little confused, but which one should i look for on the bay that will take Feather blade without modification?

And if I don't get one, what are you using to grind that "N" nub?

You must have been posting while I was editing. :biggrin1:

The VB1 and VC1, I posted a pic in my edited post of a VB1 with a modified Gem.

These are the only ones you know for sure will take a Feather without a doubt.

Usually a Dremel but a jewelers file works too just more work. The file is actually more precise if you're meticulous.

I've never heard of a VC4 that won't take a Feather. Of course, until your post I had never heard of a VC3 that would not take a Feather. :blushing:

However, I've seen several VC2's that won't take the Feathers.

--Bob

I've never heard of a VC4 that won't take a Feather. Of course, until your post I had never heard of a VC3 that would not take a Feather. :blushing:

However, I've seen several VC2's that won't take the Feathers.

--Bob

I had always heard just turn the blade over too.....until I got that VC3 and it doesn't matter which way you turn it won't fit.

Sure wasn't expecting it. I had acquired several 2s and 4s with no problems at all using a Feather.

I sure wouldn't bet the farm on there not being any VC4s somewhere out there that won't take a Feather.

Could be but..........

The only ones I'll swear by are the VB1 and VC1, no question as to whether they'll take a Feather.

Thank you Valley and Spidey9 for valuable information on Autostrop. I ordered VC1 and VB1 from Ebay and got good price for both. I will post how it goes after I receive them. thanks again

The VB1 and VC1 will definitely take the Feather blades, as well as a modified Gem style blade.

Make certain that the blade stops are intact. You can see them on the corners of the blades in the picture below. These blade stops are quite fragile, and if one is broken the razor is not safe to use - send it back.

$autostropVBVC.JPG

VB1 on the left, VC1 on the right.

The VB1 is a massive, heavy razor, well made and built like a tank. Exercise caution - it is also seriously aggressive.

Enjoy - these are fascinating razors.

--Bob

You're most welcome!

Funny - all this discussion of Auto-Strops motivated me to break out the VB1 this morning (this happens a lot) - loaded up a new Feather blade and had a great shave. :thumbup1:

--Bob

I've been using my VC4 since monday but i've been getting terrible shaves with both Valet blade. I don't know if they need to be stropped more or I should just get some Feather blades instead?

Top Bottom