What's new

De-stinking the Pinaud Special Reserve

Hi, all! I have a question.... And a bottle of Clubman Special Reserve... and a smelly problem.

I don't know where it came from, but somehow this bottle picked up a somewhat rancid scent. I know it isn't just the smell of the Reserve, as the sample I received from Garry's Samples was quite nice and, as a matter of fact, one of my favorite aftershaves. The full bottle has not lived up to the sample, however...

Does anyone know of a way to de-rancinate the Reserve, or have I simply, through bad fortune, acquired a bad bottle?

Thanks!

For the first 5 or 6 times that I used the SR, I left the cap off the bottle for about 5 minutes before use.

Now it is perfect.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have a bottle to decant into right now, but I am almost to the end of a hot sauce bottle (to borrow an idea from another thread) so perhaps I can get to it soon. :001_rolle
It's amazing how much noses can differ! What smells awful to one person, someone else loves. Maybe that's why my dog is so eager to roll in rabbit poo...

The chemistry of Special Reserve has changed a lot over the years. Believe it or not, it's actually much more stable, ingredient wise, than it used to be. Stay away from old bottles of Napoleon/Napoleon Special Reserve on eBay. They're guaranteed to be rancid.

This trial-size bottle smells fine to me — nicer than the bottle of modern formulation that I have. But maybe it is a bit later than the ones you have in mind?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like Special Reserve (modern) by itself. I have a bottle of the vintage stuff and that is a different story, completely different, and very wearable.

I do like the modern SR as a component of Bootlegger's El Dorado, though. The mix tames the SR very nicely. Check the link in my sig if you're curious.

Hi, all! I have a question.... And a bottle of Clubman Special Reserve... and a smelly problem.

I don't know where it came from, but somehow this bottle picked up a somewhat rancid scent. I know it isn't just the smell of the Reserve, as the sample I received from Garry's Samples was quite nice and, as a matter of fact, one of my favorite aftershaves. The full bottle has not lived up to the sample, however...

Does anyone know of a way to de-rancinate the Reserve, or have I simply, through bad fortune, acquired a bad bottle?

Thanks!

Try pouring some in a sample size bottle and see if it smells any better.
Try refrigerating the bottle.
Try pouring it in a glass bottle.

I've had aftershaves for years that didn't change their smell.
I have seen aftershaves in antique stores that are probably 50 years old that lost their smell. Chances are anything available at a local store isn't more than a couple of years old.

Chances are you just don't like the aftershave. I don't like it. Someone told me it was supposed to have a tobacco scent. That's really the only Pinaud aftershave that I threw away. I tried it several times.

I don't like Special Reserve (modern) by itself. I have a bottle of the vintage stuff and that is a different story, completely different, and very wearable.

I do like the modern SR as a component of Bootlegger's El Dorado, though. The mix tames the SR very nicely. Check the link in my sig if you're curious.

Thank you for the link, those Bootlegger ideas sound very nice.

I am not a fan of cloves, so after applying my Captains Choice, I follow with Lime Sec.

The El Dorado would be one to try.

Just FYI, the Captain is very adamant that there are no cloves in Captain's Choice aftershaves.

Yes I have read that, but the bay plant is in the same family as the clove plant, and to me the smell is the same.
Wearing Bay Rum is like wearing Thanksgiving or Halloween dessert :001_rolle

Top Bottom