What's new

Politics not as usual

I spent a while thinking about how to phrase this thread. I came up with this:

This is a thought experiment about the current political situation. I would like to know your thoughts on who would be the best choice for President among the Democratic, Republican and Independent candidates. Here is the catch. You must remove from your mind all incidents of Race, Creed, Color, Religion, Sexual Orientation, etc... all you are allowed to look at is the individual records of the candidates and what the candidates are specifically saying.

Think of yourself as completely immune to the stereotypes and racial agendas. You have no idea who is a women, man, old, young, black, or white. All you are aware of is the individual political agenda and how they want to advance that agenda.

For a reference you can click "Veil of Ignorance". It is a theory by John Rawls.

This is a thought experiment about the current political situation. I would like to know your thoughts on who would be the best choice for President among the Democratic, Republican and Independent candidates. Here is the catch. You must remove from your mind all incidents of Race, Creed, Color, Religion, Sexual Orientation, etc... all you are allowed to look at is the individual records of the candidates and what the candidates are specifically saying.

Think of yourself as completely immune to the stereotypes and racial agendas. You have no idea who is a women, man, old, young, black, or white. All you are aware of is the individual political agenda and how they want to advance that agenda.

For a reference you can click "Veil of Ignorance". It is a theory by John Rawls.

Good luck with that. :lol:

I assume that any moderately intelligent human-being wouldn't be worrying about these things anyway in their choosing of a candidate. The problem seems to be some of the candidates simply can't get over these things themselves.

However, if you're asking me to ignore the a thinly-veiled (but always swept under the rug and ignored by those who wish not to see facts), ridiculously racist past (and present) of a particular candidate, you are simply asking too much.

Therefore my original choice still stands, the write-in of Dr. Ron Paul.

I assume that any moderately intelligent human-being wouldn't be worrying about these things anyway in their choosing of a candidate. The problem seems to be some of the candidates simply can't get over these things themselves.

However, if you're asking me to ignore the a thinly-veiled (but always swept under the rug and ignored by those who wish not to see facts), ridiculously racist past (and present) of a particular candidate, you are simply asking too much.

Therefore my original choice still stands, the write-in of Dr. Ron Paul.

I am not asking specifically to ignore race. I am asking to ignore them as what they physically are and to look at what is being said. If you follow that link and give it a read I am sure it will come in better focus.

I'm not sure what exactly you are asking. Do you want to know who would be the best for each party? Do you want to know who, if any, out of all of them is the best choice overall for president? Or is even more open-ended than that?

With regards to the first interpretation, I would say Hillary is the best for the Democrats, McCain for the Republicans (he is the only one), and perhaps Barr for the Libertarians.

If I had to choose from only this group, I would have to say McCain. But if we are talking in the broader sense of who would be best for president, I can't honestly say that any of the choices would be best. Clinton and Obama propose too many tax increases and increased government regulation over everything from the housing market to my health insurance. They also propose a course of action in Iraq that I think would be disastrous, and I don't think they are seriously committed to fighting terrorists to the extent that they need to be fought. McCain is too liberal in his treatment of illegal immigration, his environmental plans will strangle business, and his campaign finance reform was anything but, and I think he sells out his friends too easily in order to curry favor from moderates by teaming up with individuals far too liberal for my liking (Feingold, Kennedy). McCain will get my vote because I think he is correct on some very important issues - what types of people should be appointed to the Supreme Court, taxes do not need to be raised, terrorists should have the fight taken to them, as opposed to waiting for the next big attack on our country to spur us to action.

None of them. They aren't saying anything that isn't coming directly from a "How To Win" playbook anyhow.

Ok...

The only thing that matters, for this, is to look at the records. I really do not care who you want to pick. I was just trying to keep it timely. If you want John Kennedy back thats fine too.

My point is this: If all you had in front of you was the individual records, voting history, etc, etc. and there was no mention of anything that would peg them in any social strata, and names would just be initials. Who would get your vote and why?

I do find it interesting that Ron Paul has so much support. I vote on May 20 and I have not really decided. I am leaning one way over the other but the purpose of this is just to see what is going on out there.

Ok...

The only thing that matters, for this, is to look at the records. I really do not care who you want to pick. I was just trying to keep it timely. If you want John Kennedy back thats fine too.

My point is this: If all you had in front of you was the individual records, voting history, etc, etc. and there was no mention of anything that would peg them in any social strata, and names would just be initials. Who would get your vote and why?

I do find it interesting that Ron Paul has so much support. I vote on May 20 and I have not really decided. I am leaning one way over the other but the purpose of this is just to see what is going on out there.

Oh, in that case, I want Reagan.

While this has been an interesting primary season, to say the least, I'm not so sure that walking into the voting booth in November is going to be an exhilarating experience. Ultimately, if I were to vote now, I would be sifting through who has proposed effective ideas to 1) deal with this horrendous economy, 2) remove us from the quagmire in Iraq and Afghanistan [it's time to bring the men and women home], 3) address our significant foreign policy failings, especially in the non-Iraq Middle East. Everyone is talking platitudes right now and past voting records may not necessarily be an indication of what they are going to have to do when they are given the job of running the country. Ask me at the end of October and I might have a better sense of things. Or, I might just be bringing a coin to flip in the voting booth.

Truth be told, I could probably live with any of the three main contenders. I think McCain is a fine man, but worry about how he might bend to the right to "keep the base happy". He's bent on things I once thought central to his very being, like torture, for the good of the party.

Obama seems much less whiny lately. I prefer Hillary to him largely because I think she will be able to use the system to get things done, and I think Obama will fight the system tooth and nail, and eventually learn to use it.

I just CAN NOT overlook someone's physical appearance in any election, much less, a presidential election. I WILL ONLY vote for a candidate if he or she weighs at least 250lbs but under 500lbs. Thus I will not be voting for any of the candidates this November. However, at a good 300lbs, I will be writing in my brother's name on the ballot. Besides, he's out of work right now and needs a job. If he, my brother, is elected, he will be elevated to his Peter Principle. I can think of no one better for such an important position.

Wow, race and gender are #2 & #3 in your set of three. What is #1 on that "worry" list?

I cannot speak for Jazzman; however, I read his post to mean "Of the current set of three remaining major candidates: Clinton, Obama, McCain, . . . "

I could be wrong.

Top Bottom