What's new

Shave #4 with SE under my belt how is it going so far?

Hey Gents, Well on a daily basis I use DE razors ('56 Red Tip, '82 Black Handle and MTO) but about 10 months ago I acquired my Grandpa's GEM Pushbutton SE. I tried using it shortly after getting it with some CVS brand blades and at the time it didn't seem to give a real good shave....it was an "ok" shave, but I think I had high expectations for it. I ended up putting it aside for the time being (6 months). Just recently I decided to give it another shot with a new CVS blade. I used a different one of my soaps each day and I actually got pretty decent shaves each day. I don't go for BBS every day anymore, only once in a while because I can get away with 2 passes (WTG & XTG) and not look like a bum. I'm gunna stick with the GEM for a while so I can get a good feel for it, I also like the fact that I'm shave with the same razor my Grandpa once did!

Glad you took the plunge into SE shaving. It's different than DE shaving, but as you become accustomed to it, you will find that you enjoy it more and more.

It definitely is different than DE, not in a bad way either. It does seem to me that with the GEM Pushbutton, I can feel the blade on my face more than I do with a DE, but I kinda like the different feel of it.

I use a straight about 90% of the time and the SE has taken over the remaining 10%. My poor DEs are getting lonely.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I had my first SE shave this morning with a Gem Streamline and a Gem Blue Star blade. Great shave!

How do GEM brand blades compare to the CVS brand blades? Are the GEM blades sharper? Aren't they both made by The American Safety Razor Company?

I use the Gem Blue Star Blades. They are carbon steel and I like them best. You have to dry
them off after each use to prevent corrosion. Gem stainless are not bad either but I find them not as efficient.
This is a very YMMV. Never tried CVS however, they are cheap enough to give them all a shot to see what works for you.

Top Bottom