28.2 KB · Views: 207
  • $ponds4.jpg
    $ponds4.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 208
  • $ponds5.jpg
    $ponds5.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 207
Interesting stuff.
...but I use Witch Hazel every day and I'm still an insomniac.
The things you could claim in advertising in the days before the FDA. :laugh:

Part of the reason I love old advertisements is all this stuff that such and such cures. Case in point:

$english-school-advertisement-for-foots-hot-air-and-vapor-bath-cabinet-1900s.jpg

Look at all the physicians agreeing! :lol:

Last edited:
Kind of like these classics....

Attachments

• $bob-cousy-kent.jpg
    $bob-cousy-kent.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 133
  • $camels_fresh_blue.jpg
    $camels_fresh_blue.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 132

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Nice, all around!

Now, I'm gonna go smoke and spritz myself with WH to make it all better.

Here is some more history of Pond's Extract. Pond's has been around a long time. Their cold cream is still widely used today.

Back to the Witch Hazel,I recently did a side-by-side comparison of Humphreys 16 oz. @$11 and house brand Walmart @ $1.44 for 16 oz....The Walmart WH smelled tart,bitter,pissy ,and the Humphreys smelled smooth,refined,pleasant.Whether or not the medicinal properties are the same is unknown to me,but for sheer pleasure the Humphreys is still my #1 favorite.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Can honestly say my grandfather used witch hazel as an AS every day. (My dad wouldn't, saying "It doesn't do anything." No doubt an Aqua Velva user.) Anyways.

Remember the old-time shoe-fitting x-ray machine? The one that gave you cancer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe-fitting_fluoroscope

Although most of the dose was directed at the feet, a substantial amount would scatter or leak in all directions. Shielding materials were sometimes displaced to improve image quality, to make the machine lighter, or out of carelessness, and this aggravated the leakage. The resulting whole-body dose may have been hazardous to the salesmen, who were chronically exposed, and to children, who are about twice as radiosensitive as adults

AA

Top Bottom