What's new

Only Straights.

Greetings Gents,

I'm curious... I've been shaving with DEs for a little over a year now, and started with straights about two weeks ago. I'm really enjoying the experience and thinking about totally converting over time. So my question is, how many of you use straights exclusively, i.e. no DE or carts as backup?

Cheers

Daily straights for over 5 years. I'll sprinkle in a DE a few times a year for one reason or another.

I only shave a few times a week but it's been >95% straight razors for the past few years. Can't quite commit to 100% straight razor as I do enjoy occasionally bringing out my Superspeed or 1912 SE and straights aren't overly practical when I've been staying at some campsites, hospitals and whatnot.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I'm a straight only kind of guy.
Since I picked up a straight on May 11 of this year I have only tried a DE once and I hated it.

I went from disposables to straights 2 years ago. From the first day I used a straight I have never used anything else.

Only straights for me, every day for two and a half years or so. Last time I used a DE I thought I wasted a shave.

I can't say exclusively, since I use a DE while traveling, and maybe one other time the past six months when I was running late for work.

I have one DE razor for when I'm in an extreme hurry or have to travel by plane. Otherwise straight razors only.

I am about 10 shaves in with the straight, and I still use the DE for shaving my problem area, which is on my lip and around my mouth.

I still got all my DE's but I only use two of them R41 2011 and Merkur Vision and only when I travel. I don't travel much.

I started with straights in May also and limited myself to straight only until I managed a BBS. I hit that fairly early in the game, but still stick overwhelmingly to straights. I think I've had 3 or 4 DE shaves since May (all with my r41). I've used each one mainly to gauge my performance on the straight. Initially I looked at these as wasted shaves (and they still aren't as enjoyable as a straight shave) but now after my most recent DE shave a week or two ago I've got a little different perspective. They really help give me perspective on how far I've come with my straights (my straight shaves regularly surpass the results I get with the r41) and they also show me areas I still need to grow on my straight technique. I'll probably keep using the r41 once every month or so and have it has backup in case I need a very fast reliably close shave. I can get a great BBS in five minutes start to finish with the r41 and I'm not certain I'll ever be able to match that with the straight.

Started with a straight a month ago and haven't looked back. I'm sure I will use a DE sometime in the future but I don't want to. Getting the best shaves of my life right now.

Many thanks Gents, all great responses. I was looking to establish the practicality of going straight-only, and the replies have helped me see that indeed it is. Do you find your skin is left in better condition just on straights?

I learned how to shave with a straight razor years ago. I gravitated into DE's and even carts because thy were popular at the time.
Now, I mix it up. I do think straights are good on the skin as are some SE's.

Take your time and enjoy the experience.

Don't air travel with straights (even in check in). Just PIF'd 80 or so Personna Blues to my son, so I don't have that many DE blades left. I keep some BIC sensitive disposables for air travel.

Many thanks Gents, all great responses. I was looking to establish the practicality of going straight-only, and the replies have helped me see that indeed it is. Do you find your skin is left in better condition just on straights?
Many of us find using a straight less irritating than a DE.

Top Bottom