What's new

Have any of you gentlemen been to Brazil?

Little bit of background: I'm 32 and recently single. I dated a Brazilian girl for a year. Coincidentally, after we split, one of my friends happens to be finishing some curriculum for his masters in international business in you guessed it...Brazil. This all came together one night over a few drinks at the watering hole. Always talked about going to Brazil with my ex. Next thing you know myself and 2 buddies are booked 7 nights in the JW Marriott right on the Copacabana. Airfare has been secured and I pick up my tourist visa next week. I'll be there the first week in October.

Let me reiterate that I understand the basics and let me state these right off the bat:

I understand that it's dangerous and to be cautious (don't wander off, don't wear flashy jewelry,etc).
I am not going there to "pay for the company of a lady friend." If you catch my drift.

So having said all that, any tips you gents may have?I figured this would be a good place to ask some pointers and things to do/things to avoid/things to note.

On the to do list so far:

Copacabana Beach (we're staying here so that's an easy one)
Ipanema Beach
Visit the Christ on the mountain
Friday night Lapa street party
We're looking into a rainforest tour through the hotel excursion service

I also have a fundamental knowledge of Pourtuguese as well.

Thank you guys!

Never been to Brazil, but if it's anything like Peru, you will have a blast and your $ goes way farther there! Go to the clubs and steakhouse's there, they are killer!

Congratulations, and have a safe and fun time! Sounds awesome. By the way, I have never been there, but would love to go one day.

Thanks gents!

PMT - Yes, it's a perfect time to go. Their currency is deeply devalued. I believe its 3.33 real to 1 US dollar or something similar. I'm a big fan of Rodizio so that's definitely happening. Also a big fan of caipirinha's.

I've never been anywhere in South America! I envy you.
If I were to go to Brazil, I'd love to see the northeast, especially for the music.
I'd also like to sample a lot of the good foods. You have to love feijoada.

I've never been anywhere in South America! I envy you.
If I were to go to Brazil, I'd love to see the northeast, especially for the music.
I'd also like to sample a lot of the good foods. You have to love feijoada.

I'm eh on feijoada. Depends how it's prepared. Not a fan of the traditional stew with all the "parts." The modern ones are good. Brazilian stroganoff is excellent. Can't go wrong with their arroz de frango either.

We will be in Rio. I'm thinking the farthest we may venture is Sao Paulo. Truly a massive country. I'd imagine it's probably a day by plane just to get to the NE portion.

Drop into any markets you find,Brazil has lots of great shaving products...Look for Palmindya cream,tube or tub,Fix-Modell tubs,many types of tubed creams ,Campos Jordeao cream and aftershave,and many blades ...

Attachments

• $brazilbladesxxx.jpg
    $brazilbladesxxx.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 63
I have never been there. Hope you have a great time. Remember, the weather there is reverse of here. They are nearing the end of winter and on the cusp of spring. Enjoy!

Drop into any markets you find,Brazil has lots of great shaving products...Look for Palmindya cream,tube or tub,Fix-Modell tubs,many types of tubed creams ,Campos Jordeao cream and aftershave,and many blades ...

That's definitely getting added to the list of "to-do's." Thank you!

I have never been there. Hope you have a great time. Remember, the weather there is reverse of here. They are nearing the end of winter and on the cusp of spring. Enjoy!

Yessir. October tends to be a very dry and mild time of year there. Average temp seems to be around 80.

Spent 10 hours there between planes. So that does not really count.

Here are a few suggestions (based on a fair bit of international travel, often to less than safe places.)
#1. Avoid ANYTHING flashy: fancy cameras, baggage, watches, ANYTHING. The point is to appear less attractive as a target than some other tourist (or what other experienced international travelers refer to as, "bait.")
#2. Try to get down to one bag, if possible, so you are very mobile and you can keep an eye on your stuff at all times. It takes only a moment for someone to part you from your essential stuff.
#3. Have a duplicate copy of key documents on your person (passport, credit card info, reservations, etc.). Hopefully, you will not need it.
#4. Pay attention to what is happening around you. If you feel the least bit of discomfort then get back to someplace safe.
#5. Do not get into a taxi, take a tour, etc. without assuring that it is a "registered" or reputable person and before you negotiate the cost.

Most important is to have fun!

I've been to Brazil several times. Even stayed at that Marriott. The concierge can be a big help in terms of things to do and see.

Oh yeah, "don't rent a car". Use taxis, limo service, trains, etc...

I have been to Rio many times. It is one great city. I always stay in the Copa area and walk everywhere. A great place to stop in is a travel agency called Blame It On Rio 4 Travel www.blameitonrio4travel.com which is a great place to change money and get help/advise. If you are with a group you will be fine. When walking just act as if you belong. DO NOT go out onto the beaches at night. After dark take taxi's everywhere even it is just a few blocks.

Thanks gents!

I'm a big fan of Rodizio so that's definitely happening. Also a big fan of caipirinha's.

If this is the case you have to go to Porcao Rio it is the best Brazilian steakhouse in the city with a great view. I believe there are more than one so be sure to go to the one on Av. Infante Dom Henrique.

I sent you a long detailed PM on the city.

BigJ - Roger that my friend. We will be very cognizant towards the crime situation down there.

Bob L - Good to know we picked the right place to stay. It seemed like a good safe bet.

Louie - I can't thank you enough for the specifics you sent me my friend. As I said, I'm printing it all out and bringing it with me. You answered a ton of questions I definitely would have been researching on my own (and probably not have gotten as good of answers as you gave).

One thing I forgot to mention is phones. Make sure you have a phone app such as TruePhone or Skype and load it up. There is usually WiFi around so you can call over WiFi. You can also rent cell phones from various places. I like to rent phones from Blame It On Rio.

Top Bottom