What's new

Personna Plant in Verona. Virginia to remain open

I use the US made Personna "blue" blades, and a while ago there was a thread about the parent company's intent to spin off the razor blade line and maybe close the plant. According to this news article, an outfit called AccuTec Blades has bought the plant and the business, so it looks like the plant will remain open: http://augustafreepress.com/investm...ain-operational-continue-to-provide-150-jobs/

Edit: Additional information from press release: "EPC acquired the Industrial Blades division in a deal with American Safety Razor in 2011. EPC will be retaining the Personna® brand and will continue to market wet shaving products under this name, only divesting the Industrial Blades business in this sale."

Last edited:
That's great news. And currencies go up and down. The strength of the dollar we see currently won't last forever, and these US made blades will become more competitive in price with imported products.

God damn it! :mad3:
Anyone wanna buy 63 years worth of blades?

You may have some competition with a bunch of others who stocked up on hundreds of these blades. I didn't, but did consider that having only 10 Gem blades on hand could have worked out poorly for me.

This is fantastic news. I, and a great many others, love the GEM Personna and I'd be absolutely gutted that after finding SE just late last year, that their continued use could be under threat. Also, in the last week, I just started using Lab Blues and from what use I've had from them, they are a contender for my favourite. I love all the blades that I've tried from the St.Petersburg plant but with the lack of transparency in that marketplace, it's good to know there's a viable alternative. I love it all the more being made stateside.

That was my initial impression as well, but the "Blue" is where you would expect it while the "med prep" is in the medical section

Yea!
I could not wait to tell people around the world that they'll still get USA blades. Personna, ATT, and other USA shave gear, some of it very pricey, have a loyal international market.

Thank goodness for that. I like them in a number of my razors. Smooth, sharp and a good value. I use Personna Lab/Blue & Voskhod more than any other blade by a fair margin. Good to hear they'll continue on.

Last edited:
I like the fact that these blades are made in the USA, but I'm still unsure as to whether I wanna try these lab blue personnas. Anyone tell me which other common blade they're most similar to?

I like the fact that these blades are made in the USA, but I'm still unsure as to whether I wanna try these lab blue personnas. Anyone tell me which other common blade they're most similar to?

Gem single edge blades use blue to refer to carbon steel blades.
Blue personna double edge blades are stainless steel blades.

Last edited:
Top Bottom