What's new

Razor that started it all.

started with brush and soap, then switched from carts to Merkur 34C HD. I've moved on to better razors, but that was a great start.

Initially picked up the Merkur 23C, then months later bought a brush (Plisson synthetic) and soap. Now my razor of choice is the gold plated Joris, which I picked up because I was both interested in more efficient razors and wanted a razor made out of metal more durable than zamak. Prior to using safety razors, I used the generic disposables that my dad gets from the supermarket. I was never satisfied with the quality of those shaves. I considered picking up a cartridge razor before getting my first DE razor, but the prices of the modern Gillette carts convinced me to spend my money elsewhere.

Last edited:
That was my first razor, but much too aggressive for me now:bored:

Based on this comment I went back to using the Parker 99R the last few days with an Israeli Personna Red blade and found to be more agressive than I remembered. Maybe my technique has improved since I started wet shaving and that has made a difference.

If I remember right, my first razor was a Gillette Slim, I think it was under $2 and came with 2 Gillette blue blades. Dad gave me a brush and a puck of Williams soap, Mom gave me a mug with a little chip at the bottom.

EJ DE87, going on five years ago.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
My late fater-en-law's Gillette Tech Ball. I used it for several months, until the bridge broke free on one side of the base.

Merkur 34.
After that; Futurr, Progress. some Mühles followed. Sold every modern a few years back.. I enjoy the vintages more.

Mine is a tie between an Slim and a Red Tip.

Oddly enough the Slim hardly ever gets used anymore and the Red Tip is still a regular.

i have a Super Adjustable that took the Slim's place in daily use.

but I think if I had gotten an Old Type or a NEW earlier I wouldn't have as many razors as I do today, or I may have had more who knows!:001_rolle

Razorock Classic TTO, for under 20 bucks from the Italian Barber. Still use it occasionally and it gives a great shave.

After shaving with carts for decades, I got my first DE razor just under a year ago. I passed that Van der Hagen TTO off to a friend several months ago.

I bought a EJ DE89 about a year ago when I dumped the disposables and canned foam. Back in the mid 70's, when I first started shaving, it was my dad's GEM SE razor.

Last edited:
My father gave me his Gillette Tech to start off with but the first razor I bought was a FB, which I bought just a few years later.

Top Bottom