What's new

Proraso Green

A family member got back from Italy this past Saturday and they had some shave supplies for me. I requested and was given a tub of Proraso Green soap. Also part of the request was Proraso White cream, Proraso AS Lotion and the boar brush (Omega 10048). The total was less than $20. Proraso Green was around $2.

Using the new boar brush I made some lather. It's pretty thirsty so don't be shy with the water. Lather was good, slickness was good, cushion was good. Scent is mild eucalyptus. Shave was as good as many others: BBS using my Fusion ProGlide (2 pass).

What can I say? It's a $2 soap and it performs GREAT for the money. Had I paid $10 or $20 I wouldn't be excited about it. I would definitely put it right in the mix with other similarly priced soaps such as Arko & Cella. It is NOT as fatty a soap like Cella. Cella is slicker and lathers a little easier. If I had to choose I would take Cella over Proraso (disregarding the scent). But that's just my humble opinion. It's a toss up between Arko & Proraso (again disregarding the scent).

The aftershave lotion is GREAT as well (cost was about $5). The scent is a little too light but I love the combination of eucalyptus and menthol. The scent dissipates after 2-3 hours.

Yes indeed. Cella & Vitos are cheaper there as well. Best part about Proraso is you can pick it up in a supermarket. All that stuff was picked up at Esse Lunga supermarket chain.

Proraso is absolutely amazing stuff. Food, shaving products, Republic, and San Marzano. Is there anything the Italians can't do?

I would use proraso more if it didn't leave that white residue on everything it touches

That stuff rubs right off, just clean your equipment! It is annoying, but it doesn't require much more than a quick buffing...

Love me some Proraso Red. I won't buy the green anymore once the tube I have is gone, I much prefer Stirling Frozen Tundra for my menthol fix. But the Red Soap is going to remain a staple in my den!

That stuff rubs right off, just clean your equipment! It is annoying, but it doesn't require much more than a quick buffing...

Love me some Proraso Red. I won't buy the green anymore once the tube I have is gone, I much prefer Stirling Frozen Tundra for my menthol fix. But the Red Soap is going to remain a staple in my den!

I just finished a 3017 of the Green, and agree that there are better budget menthol's out there to get my fix when the weather drives me to it. The Red is a nice scent.

+1

When my current tub of green is gone, I'll be done, but the red will be a permanent member of the den.

I'm not a big fan of Proraso on its own, it irritates, but when mixed with Arko into a superlather, then it really is fantastic. The glide is great in Proraso and I find it drying. It's not as cushioning as Arko but I believe that's why the two work together so well. For the price, it's hard to beat, nice to get it from the source too.
Not wishing to be pedantic, but is the boar brush the Proraso too? If so, it's not actually an Omega 10048, more in between that and the 10083. Great brush though and you'll get years of use from it.

GordyN - The package for the brush was Proraso, but the brush is Omega. It's says so on the bottom of the brush handle. I just guessed it was 10048. Good brush. Like it plenty. Needs a little breaking in but I still like it alot. The hard, stiff bristles don't bother me at all.

I plan on using the soap for a week or 2 if not longer I really want to get a perfect if not near perfect lather. So far, so good. It likes alot of water.

I would use proraso more if it didn't leave that white residue on everything it touches

I keep reading about this residue, but I don't ever suffer from it. We have middle of the road water hardness. After I shave I rinse everything in hot water and wipe it off on the towel. There doesn't seem to be any more or less residue with Proraso as any other soap I use.

Agreed. Love the scent and postshave feel. P Green opened my eyes to classic wet shaving. The white residue is a killer for me. Too many good soaps to use - I bumped P from my rotation..

I keep reading about this residue, but I don't ever suffer from it. We have middle of the road water hardness. After I shave I rinse everything in hot water and wipe it off on the towel. There doesn't seem to be any more or less residue with Proraso as any other soap I use.

+1. I don't have any more residue than with other soaps/creams. Maybe it is the water.

Funny, I would put the Green in front of almost everything out there on scent alone, and certainly above avg on performance. I just can't get enough of it. Super cooling in the summer, very masculine without being overpowering. Unfortunately the splash smells nothing like it. I have yet to try the red - is it pretty similar to the other sandalwoods? Trumpers, AOS etc?

Funny, I would put the Green in front of almost everything out there on scent alone, and certainly above avg on performance. I just can't get enough of it. Super cooling in the summer, very masculine without being overpowering. Unfortunately the splash smells nothing like it. I have yet to try the red - is it pretty similar to the other sandalwoods? Trumpers, AOS etc?
I completely agree. Proraso Green is my summertime classic. How can anyone not like that scent? The others not so much for me but Green is a masterpiece.

Haven't tried Proraso Green soap, just the cream. If I understand correctly, the two perform similarly. Since my shaving preferences have evolved more towards soaps than creams (when I first started I was MUCH more successful lathering creams than soaps, but I've overcome that training deficiency) I'll have to pick some up.

Top Bottom