What's new

Super cool steak cuts, formerly "Oddball Steaks"

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Having said all of that, if there's a cut that tastes like the outer (marbled) edge of a ribeye that costs less, I am all ears.

That cut, the ribeye cap, is the spinalis dorsi muscle and perhaps the tastiest bit of the entire cow. It just melts in your mouth. When I become president in 2020 I will send you an entire rib eye cap from my private stock, which I will have confiscated from the public by executive order.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That cut, the ribeye cap, is the spinalis dorsi muscle and perhaps the tastiest bit of the entire cow. It just melts in your mouth. When I become president in 2020 I will send you an entire rib eye cap from my private stock, which I will have confiscated from the public by executive order.

I don't believe your campaign promise of a ribeye in every pot....or just Tepp's pot.

.....ox tail is an oddball cut.

ouch

I suppose you can always get a wagyu ribeye- check out the marbling on the cap.

proxy.php

proxy.php

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Ok, signing into the thread for drooling purposes only. Lost me local butcher to a hipper part of town a year ago, may be time to make a trek though. Great topic ouch

ouch

I always look for a ribeye with a significant cap. Oh so good......

That cut is called the calotte*, and it will be the last piece of meat I ever ingest, even if I need a blender and a straw.

*Not to be confused with the culotte, a nice cut from the sirloin.

Last edited:
That cut is called the calotte*, and it will be the last piece of meat I ever ingest, even if I need a blender and a straw.

*Not to be confused with the culotte, a nice cut from the sirloin.

It's nice to know the correct name. I will agree with your sentiment in regards to it. I always leave a nice bite of that to the end when eating a ribeye. Bliss....

ouch

"I'll have the heel."
-said no one ever

The heel is a particularly gnarly looking and tough cut of meat that is usually relegated to a braising pot for many hours. However, with some meticulous knife work, a very serviceable steak can be produced called a merlot steak. Amazingly, it is suitable for grilling.

proxy.php

ouch

The "Denver cut".

Separate a Chuck Roll (What, you don't have an entire chuck roll handy? Pffft.) into the Chuck Eye Roll and the Under Blade Roast. Further subdivide the Under Blade Roast by removing the Splenius and Rhomboideus muscles, leaving the Serratus Ventralis muscle. Split the serratus in half then cut the two pieces against the grain into Denver Cut steaks. They're a good, meaty tasting steak reminiscent of a good sirloin.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom