What's new

When is it time to get rid of clothes?

At some point of use clothing crosses an invisible line at which you decide that it's time to get rid of it. For each of us that line varies depending on many factors. How do you decide when an article of clothing has had it?

It really depends on the intended function which can change due to wear. work clothes becomes "casual" when creases and seam edges start to change color. When it starts looking thread bare it becomes grub clothes and finally shop rags. Shoes go from work, to casual, to "lawnmower" to the trash. Anything stained becomes a shop rag. Most "distressed" dress clothing get donated to goodwill.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Far too often, they hit the "oh my gosh, I actually thought this looked good?!?!?" point far before they actually wear out enough that I'd want to toss them.

No set rule here. Sometimes clothes just get too faded or holey. Sometimes I keep stuff so long it goes out of style.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
My new clothes become my old clothes when they show signs of wear, like holes, or fading. Then they no longer are my "going out" clothes but become my "staying in" clothes. I'll wear them when just lounging around the house.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
People get rid of clothes just because they're a bit worn??? I don't understand these words.:001_cool: I still have socks older than most of you.
Kidding aside, the above replies are all good suggestions.

I just went through a clothing purge and am moving towards a more minimalistic wardrobe. Loving it so far!! Everything goes with just about everything else in my wardrobe!

I try to purge my wardrobe at the end of summer and again at the end of winter. As others have mentioned, business shirts which are perhaps no longer appropriate for the office setting can easily become more casual wear and as t-shirts and polos show wear, they become suitable for the garden or the garage.

I try to buy a new wardrobe every couple of years, but I hold on to the old ones far too long.

My current dress-up shirts are going on 10 years old. They are starting to fray a little at the collars and cuffs, but otherwise, they are still stylish and serviceable, and very comfortable. Most important, they still fit my frame, which is hard for me to get with off-the-rack clothing. I can't bear to part with them until I can find a replacement at a reasonable cost.

When I hit it big, my dream is to get a Bespoke wardrobe, custom tailored and made from scratch to my measurements. But even when that happens, I will probably still hang on to most of what I have now, downgrading it to casual attire for running errands and grocery shopping and lounging around the house.

It's time to get rid of clothes when my wife says it is !

This. She especially is fond of updating my undershirts, for some reason.

Socks/boxers are gone when they have actual holes. Shirts can be downgraded if they become too "pilly". Pants when they get a hole or no longer fit due to "shrinking in the wash". :) And then, there's the occassional purge because I hadn't worn the item in some indeterminate period of time.

For me:

- If they no longer fit
- Stains
- Fabric has dulled or changed significantly
- Damaged and unable/unwilling to repair
- No longer fits my style

Things which are starting to look worn or perhaps stained get reassigned from "wear outside" to "wear inside" to "yard work" to "rags". At irregular intervals unused items will be sent to salvation army.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I am hoping my leisure suits will come back in style.

Timeless Tony Style!

proxy.php

It's time to get rid of clothes when my wife says it is !
Bingo. I'm in the middle of the honey what do you think phase, as I call it, right now. I tend to hold onto clothes way to long because there is a chance I might wear that, but reality is I probably won't.

Top Bottom