What's new

After a week

So I have had a few friends talking about safety razors and never took the plunge. Generally a few times a year I get the whole bush person look because I hated shaving, and hated buying those expensive cartridges. I recently came off of one of my bush times, and I decided to use a safety razor.

It is funny because now I actually look forward to my shave. I rather enjoy shaving now. My starter set includes Merkur 34c and the Van Der Hagen luxury shave set. Knock on wood but I have only had one minor nick. I watched lots of videos on technique before I even started. I am definitely hooked on shaving this way. I do not ever see me going back to cartridge razors. I am curious to try out a straight razor at some point though.

The one thing I am not crazy about in my setup is the brush. It is a little to coarse for my liking. I see that being the first thing I am going to change. I do not want to drop a lot of money on a brush, but I am thinking about going with a whippeddog HMB brush. I am also wanting to try some different soaps.

After doing this for a week now, I am wondering why people every moved off this type of shaving. I never thought shaving could be a hobby until now.

Congrats on finding your way! It took me a few brushes before I found a couple I really like using. Best of luck, and welcome!

Welcome aboard B&B. It looks like you are off to a great start. Practice and patience will pay off in better and better shaves.

Hello and welcome here. Great to have you on B&B. Sounds like you're off to a solid start. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

I have the same brush. As you use it, it gets better. After few more weeks, you should find it is better. Still, it is not a high end brush.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. Omega makes some fine, inexpensive boar brushes, and they make a synthetic called the S-brush which is highly thought of and is very inexpensive. Of course, any brush by Whipped Dog will be excellent.

Welcome to B&B! I have a WD 22 mm in HMB and it's a fantastic brush. I have some other 'high-end' badger brushes and I enjoy my WD as much as any of them. :)

I had a VDH brush and I currently have a Whipped Dof HMB. The WD is a big upgrade, but as mentioned above the VDH does gett softer. If you like the backbone of the VDH, but want the tips to feel a little nice, the HMB is a good choice. If you want the whole experience to be softer, one of Larry's other offerings may be a better idea. Talk to him and he'll give good advice.

So I have had a few friends talking about safety razors and never took the plunge. Generally a few times a year I get the whole bush person look because I hated shaving, and hated buying those expensive cartridges. I recently came off of one of my bush times, and I decided to use a safety razor.

It is funny because now I actually look forward to my shave. I rather enjoy shaving now. My starter set includes Merkur 34c and the Van Der Hagen luxury shave set. Knock on wood but I have only had one minor nick. I watched lots of videos on technique before I even started. I am definitely hooked on shaving this way. I do not ever see me going back to cartridge razors. I am curious to try out a straight razor at some point though.

The one thing I am not crazy about in my setup is the brush. It is a little to coarse for my liking. I see that being the first thing I am going to change. I do not want to drop a lot of money on a brush, but I am thinking about going with a whippeddog HMB brush. I am also wanting to try some different soaps.

After doing this for a week now, I am wondering why people every moved off this type of shaving. I never thought shaving could be a hobby until now.
Shaving is not a hobby...the collecting of shave gear is:thumbup1:

Top Bottom