What's new

What am I doing wrong?

Hi guys.

I recently acquired a nice Ever-Ready in what seems to be a very nice state

Link-to-post

When I tried to shave with it the other day this is what it looked like after the first pass:
$SE Misalignment.jpg

I loaded it up with GEM's SE blades and thought no more about it but it seems like something is a wee bit off since it isn't able to hold the blade during the shave

The top cap closes down all the way and there doesn't seen to be any gaps between the blade and the razor so I can't really figure out where to tighten stuff up

Any tips on what to do?

Thanks!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Can you post a full picture of the blade outside the razor?

Two things comes to mind, the size of the blade is wrong or the spring at the back of the head that holds the blade in place is too tired to hold the blade.

Also, it looks like both blade stoppers are gone on the razor.

Hard to see but, Yeah, looks like a dodgy blade stop as the blade is being forced forward by the spring by the looks of it...:w00t:

Billy

Don't try to shave with that! It's hard to say for certain without more pictures, but either one of the blade stops is damaged as mentioned, or else the spring is bad and not pushing the razor against the stops. The blade should be firmly held in place with the edge of the blade perfectly parallel to the comb.

-=-Bob

Here's another picture
$SE Open.jpg

I could be wrong but as far as I can see there's still enough left of the stops that it doesn't move forward past them.
The blade itself is being pushed backwards.
It seems even a slight shake is enough to move the blade.
Only backwards though as the stops seem to be working.
Well, the stumps seem to be working ;-)

Did I get the wrong blades for this razor?

If it indeed is the spring that's too tired, is there a way to fix it?

You can take that head apart and try and re bend & put some energy back into that spring, but why bother as these 1912s are so cheap.....Its worth spending a few dollars more to get a decent one ..These are old and if they look in poor condition that's what you are going to get in your hands Sir....:w00t:

This one is in poor condition ..:thumbup1:

Billy

You should not be able to move the blade by shaking the razor. It would seem that the spring is damaged/bent/worn out/whatever.

As Billy said, it's a lot easier to simply replace it than to try to fix it. It will make a nice paperweight. If you bought it on the 'Bay you may want to contact the seller regarding a refund, since I doubt it was represented as having a broken spring.

--Bob

This is a 1912 with no cover that I made into a Sevette by removing the comb.

The spring presses the blade against the stops and holds it tightly in place, and it shaves quite nicely.

The cover is basically just for levering the spring back to remove the blade, the spring is what does the work of putting tension on the blade to hold it in place.

So as mentioned the spring is most likely bad on yours.

Last edited:
I had one like this and after several attempts I gave up, the tension in the cover was to far gone and it just would not hold the blade in place.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The blade is right I would say. A spineless blade wouldn't work in that model but you got the right thing. When you close the cap, make sure that the edge of the blade is resting on the blade stops. However, as mentioned above, I believe this one is good for recycling.

Top Bottom