What's new

Nib Acquisitions, September 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running a "Fountain Pens Wanted" ad in the local Craigslist site for the past year. Today was the first time I actually was able to score anything decent.

I ended up with two cased pen and pencil sets:
1) Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman FP and Mechanical Pencil in Burgundy. The pen has an XF Palladium-Silver "Triumph" nib. The filler will need restoration, but everything else looks perfect.

2) A Parker 21 Mark II FP & MP in Red. Pen is currently soaking, but should be ready to write as soon as it's cleaned and dried-out. The nib looks like a Medium. The pencil is interesting...it's one of Parker's "Liquid Lead" pencils, which uses a liquid graphite compound in a replaceable filler, similar to a ballpoint refill. Surprisingly, after 40 years or so, it still writes! The pen and pencil were stored in a Parker 51 case, which I will probably match up with the proper P51 pen & pencil.
------------
Photos:

$IMG_2828.jpg

$IMG_2827.jpg

Last edited:
Nice catch! Both sets look great.

Whats inscribed on the Sheaffer set?
Just the original owner's initials.

The pen, and two other Snorkels, are getting packed up today and shipped to Danny Fudge for restoration. Once they're returned, I need to to take a look at my collection and decide which ones to keep and then rehome the rest.

A fairly inexpensive and widely accessible pen but a comfortable, zero friction pen, all the same. Ink flows a bit heavy, but writing is very fluent. Best used without the cap, as it is rather cumbersome. I was looking for something that I found to be "classic", yet handsome, and feel I've found it in this writing utensil. Pleased with my purchase, as I am just getting into this. A nice affordable way to develop a feel for my preferences before delving into higher quality pens.
$Cross Aventura.jpg

Brian Gray over at Edison Pens just shipped me this beauty: a Glenmont in Cumberland ebonite with a .7 mm stub. Now the testing of the patience begins . . .

proxy.php

Looks awesome. You didn't even mention it was a bulb filler in the previous post. Congrats!

I have a minty Parker 75 Cisele en route.

I've been wanting this pen for some time now.

Pics when I get it.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
A few things came in the mail today:
A Hero 7022, a TWSBI VAC700 (B), a Sheaffer Targa (fine 14k nib) w/ matching ballpoint, some empty ink sample vials, a 1.5 stub replacement nib for the VAC700, and a Sheaffer converter that I threw in my cart without realizing that the Targa already came with one.
$IMG_20150905_124223619_HDR.jpg

strop

Now half as wise
I've had some pens that I considered to have some flex, but that was just dumb luck in picking up pens at antique stores. Richard Binder had this on his Pen Show Tray last month. I wanted to see what a Binderized flexible F would be like and I have not been disappointed! Probably won't be a daily driver, but will be great for cards and such.

The chasing is pristine, such that I wonder how much this pen was ever used. It is from the 20th Century Pen Company, and before you ask, even Richard stated he had not been able to find any information about the company.

Attachments

• $20150907_201534.jpg
    $20150907_201534.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 116
Ran out of Iroshizuku Asa Gao on Friday, so ran out to the local B&M to pick up more. The owner convinced me to give Waterman's Serenity Blue a shot, so I picked up a bottle.

Just loaded my Waterman Expert III with it, and so far, I'm a fan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom