What's new

Regimental ties?

I see your location is Paris, so I'd ask around over there. Here in the US, probably not. I doubt if many people here would recognize a regimental tie or associate it with any particular military group.

strop

Now half as wise
I have several that I wear regularly, but I'm in the US. I would be a bit self conscious in the UK and probably would not wear them there.

It may get uncomfortable if you were approached and asked what unit you were in and such. Nice looking ties though. Usually only Vets or Active Duty know these things and some might think it inappropriate.

Correct. Folks here in the Colonies are oblivious to the meaning of these ties.

I see your location is Paris, so I'd ask around over there. Here in the US, probably not. I doubt if many people here would recognize a regimental tie or associate it with any particular military group.

I have several that I wear regularly, but I'm in the US. I would be a bit self conscious in the UK and probably would not wear them there.

+1. Perfectly fine in the US. Frowned upon in the UK (where some merchants have told me NOT to wear them until I return home.)

I don't think it'll be much of a problem. I sometimes where an old squadron cap or shirt and I've been asked maybe twice about them in the last ten years. Point is, most people probably won't know, recognize, or care, and to those who do I would just say something along the lines of how you like the way the ties look and it's a way for you to support the troops. But if you did run across someone who was genuinely offended, you should probably stop wearing it out of respect.

Edit: I sometimes see teens/young people wearing old service patches and I don't find it disrespectful at all. To me, if anything, it's an honor unless they're degrading them in some way.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Outside of the UK* I'd say you are fine. If you are going to an event in your home country that will be attended/frequented by British Military (war memorial parade, for example) then maybe skip it there too. There's a certain "you gotta earn it" attitude to certain military regallia and such ... civilians wearing medals they didn't fight for, for an obvious example ... that it's just not wise to go against.

+1. Perfectly fine in the US. Frowned upon in the UK (where some merchants have told me NOT to wear them until I return home.)

I think British Regiments are missing out on a great opportunity ... they could make a "civilian supporting the troops" version of their ties (the same ties, altered slightly in a subtle but universally recognisable way) that allows civilians to wear the ties as a "thank you for your service in the Fangoolistan Hussars, which, by the way, has a fantastic regimental tie" gesture. Proceeds could go to aiding veterans in need or something.

*I also include certain overseas countries, mostly in or formerly in the Commonwealth, where the tradition has held on. At a guess, I'd say India, Pakistan, Malaysia, and so forth ... but it could be anywhere.

Sort of along the same lines...I have a tie that matches the ribbon of an award I received while in the military. I don't wear it a lot because it is a bit small for me, but I have in the past. For the most part it looks like a conservative patterned tie. I have had exactly one person come up to me and ask me if that was what he thought it was. I told him yes and the next thing out of his mouth was, "did you earn it?" I told him yes and we had a nice conversation about our military careers.

I have on occasion worn my Grandfathers regimental tie. He was a career soldier in the British Army. He retired as a Regimental Sergeant Major of the Sherwood Foresters. The tie that I wear no longer exists as a part of the British Army. The Sherwood Foresters no longer exist in their own right due to a number of regimental mergers over the years. I wouldn't in any way find it offensive for anyone to wear a regimental tie but I think that you should at least know which regiment that the tie belongs to.

Why would you want to wear one in the first place? Are there specific designs you find attractive? Because I don't think it's a clear cut issue across the board. Some of the ties are so obviously specific to the units they represent, wearing them would be an obvious faux pas, even to members of the general public. You should probably forget about anything on the Royal Navy & Marines page. There are maybe three you could get away wearing without looking like a complete tool.

There are quite a few ties on the second link that could just be striped ties, or very easily represent multiple organizations. For example, the "4th Queens Own Hussars" looks (except for stripe direction) exactly like a couple ties I own because they're my university's colors.

If you're set on wearing a regimental tie, I think a good rule of thumb would be, if it doesn't look like something you'd find for sale in a department store you should pass on it. That would be anything with a crest and weird patterns or color combinations*. If it has any (written) indication of the unit it represents anywhere on the tie, I would never wear it.

(* ETA: Not that there haven't been department store ties with both of these, I mean what would otherwise be weird aesthetic choices that give a "this is a regimental tie" vibe).

Last edited:
Top Bottom