What's new

Source For Wood Blanks?

So, I have been looking high and low across the intertubes, and even though I can come close, none of the stabilized wood I am finding is already the correct thickness for razor scales. I had what I thought was the perfect set, but it is over twice as thick as I need, and the merchant cannot offer it thinner. So, not worth the price to get it and hope I could make it work.

Do any of you gentlemen know of a good place to look for the wood for scales? Already stabilized and at the correct thickness?

Thanks!

http://www.bellforestproducts.com/thin-stock-lumber/#.VeW7PflVhHw 1/8" sheets of a bunch of woods that you can cut blanks from. Some folks at other sites have used this supplier with success. I thought that USA Knifemaker had 6"x1.5"x1/8" cocobolo scale blanks too but they've revamped their site recently and I can't find cocobolo or any other wood in that size, just kirinite (which is a cool material in its own right but not what you're looking for).

Thanks! These don't say if they are stabilized or not, but at this price I am guessing not. I will need to consider that in my next step.

If you have a belt sander, band saw and some time it's no trouble making yourself some wood scales. Find some good (heartwood). Look for some blood wood, Purple Heart, or zebra wood. They are all extremely hard wood and with a few coats of poly it's hard to harm them.

Top Bottom