What's new

MLS (Major League Soccer) Thread

Hello everybody,

I searched, yet could not find a dedicated thread for MLS. So, I am creating one. Use this thread to update others on MLS news, transfers, scores, live updates, and to say all the banter that you can dream of. Tifos are welcome as well! I'll start it out.

But before I do, if you have been skeptical about MLS but watch other leagues, give it a shot. The quality of play has drastically gone up, since 2010 at least. It's fast paced and the build-ups are getting much better. Just watch a replay of the last Seattle/Portland or DC/NYR match. You'll see it. Other than that, welcome to the Dark Side.

Frank Lampard is still out. Giovinco is out of Italy's call up due to an injury, but Pirlo is still going.

Seattle finally won a game. Would you look at that!

$image.jpg

Last edited:
The standard of play in the MLS was rather poor for some time, but I'll admit it has improved recently. Still nowhere near what it could be, and hopefully the trend will continue and it will improve more.

I attribute the improvement to better standards of coaching at grass root levels across North America. When I was a young lad, the only decent coaches in Canada were from Europe, and the only reasons they were in Canada was either they had retired or weren't good enough in their home countries. Now I can see greater interest and investment in coaching throughout North America, which can only be good for the future generations on players.

I only cheer for Canadian teams in the MLS now, Toronto has been run poorly for so long, but I know someone in the organization so I feel obligated to cheer for them. Montreal started out trying to be little old Italy which didn't work, now they are broadening their horizons which is improving the team. Thank goodness for good old Vancouver, the Whitecaps have been around for some time and as a result have a good foundation to lean on. Which reminds me, I should really purchase on of their jerseys for my collection.

Canada's teams are going places. Obviously Vancouver is a front runner right now, but Toronto and Montréal are strong as hell right now. I still argue that, for the money and personal talent, Giovinco is the best purchase MLS has ever made. Obviously David Beckham is the most important, because of the "Beckham effect" but talent, Giovinco for sure.

The strangest thing about the MLS is the way players are sold and purchased, caps, different lists, waivers, drafts. It makes my head hurt thinking about it all.

I'm sure it was all set up that way to protect the league while it is being established, but if the league achieves long term stability and success I could see it all either being abused or even eventually holding the league back.

I get what you are saying about Giovinco because he has done well so far, but he gets frustrated by physical play and injuries haven't been kind to him. Everywhere he has played so far, he shows promise and talent but it doesn't last. I hope he can buck that trend as he's more mature now.

As for TFC, I'd rather have Bradley in my team than Gio.

If I understand it correctly, player contracts are with MLS rather than the individual teams they play for. I could be wrong. Naturally, I am a LONG suffering Toronto FC supporter, so it is nice to see the change this season, but I am not holding my breath until we CLINCH a playoff berth. Only other team I would bother supporting as a neutral is New England. Their starting Keeper was back-up to my nephew at University. Nice to see that he came good.

The players sign with the team, but I believe MLS has rights to their name/brand. Germany's VP ( I believe) just came out and said he loves our system of player signings, salary cap, et cetera. Maybe Garber is right?

And I agree about Bradley. That man is almost a genius in the mid field and is a huge asset for TFC. On the LA side, I'm sad to see that Gerrard's contract is only 18 mo. Oh well. I just hope we try for Ronaldo or Ibra before LAFC does...Or Miami...if it ever happens.

TheShaun

Bejeweled
Hat trick for Drogba on his debut start. Looked like he was really hustling and directing traffic out there. MTL were down three starters. Good on Drogba to being a big name signing who actually goes out and gives a damn on the pitch.

The players sign with the team, but I believe MLS has rights to their name/brand. Germany's VP ( I believe) just came out and said he loves our system of player signings, salary cap, et cetera. Maybe Garber is right?

And I agree about Bradley. That man is almost a genius in the mid field and is a huge asset for TFC. On the LA side, I'm sad to see that Gerrard's contract is only 18 mo. Oh well. I just hope we try for Ronaldo or Ibra before LAFC does...Or Miami...if it ever happens.

While Gerrard has always been a very solid player, he is now well past his prime for the style of play he was good at. There are not many players good enough (or smart enough) to adjust their position and style to be effective into their mid-late 30's. Beckham did it well, but I don't think Gerrard will.

:001_smile the term genius is a bit much for Bradley, but he is just the sort of player I enjoy watching. He's good at being the "water carrier", can tackle, pass, gets the ball then pops his head up, and he's good off the ball too. Solid and dependable, just the sort of player to build a team around.

Speaking of solid players, has anyone watched the documentary about Jay DeMerit? I haven't been able to watch it yet, but he is a very good role model for young players being told not to give up on their dreams. For those who don't know, he was overlooked by MLS teams after he graduated, moved to England with $1800 to his name and talked his way into playing for a 9th tier club. Within 3 years he had worked his way into the top flight. I watched him play many times in England and was always impressed with the effort he put in, and how tough he was. He played through so many injuries for club and country without complaining. He finally had to retire last season in his 4th season with Vancouver due to one of those injuries.

TheShaun

Bejeweled
Off to the Whitecaps vs Rapids game tonight. Laba and Waston out for Vancouver for recent infractions. Laba cannot be replaced, period. The guy is amazing. Won't be long before he is on his way to Europe. Just hope Vancouver get a good price for him.

Off to the Whitecaps vs Rapids game tonight. Laba and Waston out for Vancouver for recent infractions. Laba cannot be replaced, period. The guy is amazing. Won't be long before he is on his way to Europe. Just hope Vancouver get a good price for him.

How was the match? I see the good guys won.

TheShaun

Bejeweled
How was the match? I see the good guys won.

First half was a total snooze fest. Things picked up in the second. Techera linked up with a great cross to Rivero for a sweet header. That was his first goal in open play for a long time. Then about 5 min later Techera buried one from close range. I had my doubts about Techera when he joined the team but man has he impressed. He just works harder for the ball than anyone around him and it causes defenders all sorts of trouble. I think that's 6 goals in 12-13 games for him now.

I was sad to see the Portland match play on as it did, but all credit has to go to that first goal. I can't even remember the man's name, but what a strike!

Card carrying member of the Timbers Army here. I'm really enjoying the play of Kamara and Giovinco this year. By pure luck, I was in Colorado at the same time as the All-Star game this summer, and I happen to be a Spurs fan, too. They put on a great show, and it was great to see how the league grew the last 20 years. Soccer is breaking through in America, but I think it has a long way to go to make MLS a top league in the world. Still, I think play has been outstanding this year, and I hope it continues to grow.

I'm just getting into this because my kids play...is DC United any good?

It doesn't matter if they are good or not (they have a good history by the way, the most decorated club in the MLS), choose a club and support them through thick and thin. Supporting a club can be a life long passion, or obsession......... you'll be surprised how much of a bonding experience it can be between a parent and child.

I'm just getting into this because my kids play...is DC United any good?

To answer your question, yes. While this season is average for them, they have the second most championships in the league. I think liking a club is key to sticking with it. I starting watching soccer in 2012 because I grew tired of American football and the low level of action with a high level of crying. Being I am from Los Angeles, I watched the LA Galaxy. I haven't looked back since. It takes a bit to appreciate the sport, but when you do, you're hooked. DC is a great team with a good level of play. If you live around the area, you should go to a few of their games. The environment at the matches are amazing.

Top Bottom