What's new

Good BBS shave, but irritation a couple days later as hair grows back?

Sometimes I get a good, irritation free BBS shave.

But as the hair is growing back a day or two later, "teething" through the skin, my lower neck gets a bit irritated and I get some red bumps.

Anyone dealt with this before?

I have a patch under my chin that does this if I go for a bbs. I just avoid pushing for a bbs in this area and never go against the grain here.

I have had this issue as well - but shaving daily, and no closer than needed to get through the day, keeps it from happening for the most part.

Sometimes I get a good, irritation free BBS shave.

But as the hair is growing back a day or two later, "teething" through the skin, my lower neck gets a bit irritated and I get some red bumps.

Anyone dealt with this before?

That is the beginning of of ingrown hairs. You are getting lucky that the hairs are breaking through the skin at the last moment so you the situation does not get worse. As many said, you may want to aim for a DFS or CCS in that particular area. A BBS is never worth the complications of ingrown hairs.

In my experience, if I keep my skin a bit moisturized, it helps the hairs break through easier initially. If they break through and then start curling and pushing back into the skin, that is a different issue, but also fairly common.

I'm finding that rubbing my stubble as it grows back is really causing irritation. I wonder if anyone else experiences this...

Rubbing the short hard hairs must be jamming them into the follicle and probably irritating the opening around the hair too. Maybe causing some scar tissue or swelling around the hair. Not sure, need a microscope.

In my experience, if I keep my skin a bit moisturized, it helps the hairs break through easier initially. If they break through and then start curling and pushing back into the skin, that is a different issue, but also fairly common.

Thought I was unique. I never get ingrown hair as typically described, from shaving too close. I get them from skipping more than several days and the hairs curl back into the skin... it looks like a small black loop.

Of course, the resolution to my problem is to not let the shaves go for more than three days.

I'd skip the ATG pass altogether.
What's the point of a few hours total smoothness when you have all that irritation later on?

Top Bottom