What's new

Finally scored a PAL adjustable

Pella blades are good but their injector case sucks. I stick to the Chinese Schicks.

Oh no, I canceled my Chicks order and went with the Pella :facep: (they actually arrived yesterday)

Not at all. Sounds like some residual oil to me.
Glad to hear this. The slipperiness (is that a word?) is the only thing I didn't like. I see a long relationship developing.

Last edited:
Oh no, I canceled my Chicks order and went with the Pella :faceP: .

You may have better luck than I did. If your razor has a tight head or the used blade is stuck, I've found the plastic Pella injector case too weak to apply ample pressure to push the old blade out.

Oh no, I canceled my Chicks order and went with the Pella :faceP: (they actually arrived yesterday)

Glad to hear this. The slipperiness (is that a word?) is the only thing I didn't like. I see a long relationship developing.

Personna/Pella injector blades can offer a rough ride in PAL injectors in my experience....The Chinese blades are far smoother, efficient and more forgiving in PAL Injectors..:w00t:

Billy

You may have better luck than I did. If your razor has a tight head or the used blade is stuck, I've found the plastic Pella injector case too weak to apply ample pressure to push the old blade out.

Personna/Pella injector blades can offer a rough ride in PAL injectors in my experience....The Chinese blades are far smoother, efficient and more forgiving in PAL Injectors..:w00t:

Billy

Great now to re-order some Chicks :facep:

Counterpoint: I like the Pellas just fine, in the PAL Adjustable, as well as everything else. I find them to be slightly smoother than the Schicks.

The injector is indeed on the flimsy side, but I find that it gets the job done - you just have to go slowly and use a little extra care.

As always, YMMV.

--Bob

Second shave with the Pal today. I went ahead and turned it up all the way :w00t: Three passes later and I got a great shave! There is a definite blade feel but I like that in a razor. The Chick (my last one and onto the Pellas) is even better on the second shave. I love the looks of it and the weight is perfect. I can't help but thinks Star Trek now after reading the injector thread.
I think my other injector isn't going to get much face time.

Last edited:
Was in a hurry and rushed through a shave. Big mistake. Ended up in weeperville!!! I had even turned it down to the middle setting. Just a reminder to respect this fine razor.

Dumb questions, do the PALs not take Schick blades? What is the point of putting in a used blade? Are you basically stacking the blades off center in the PAL?
Thanks for humoring me.

Dumb questions, do the PALs not take Schick blades? What is the point of putting in a used blade? Are you basically stacking the blades off center in the PAL?
Thanks for humoring me.
Yeah, they do take Schick blades and or any standard injector blade...Don't understand what you mean by stacking blades...One blade in and one blade out Sir...:thumbup1:

Billy

Thanks for humoring me.

Like Billy said, injector blades are standard. Vintage, modern, Schick, Personna - all will fit any injector razor.

The injector system is designed so that when a new blade is loaded it pushes the used blade out. The used blade holds the blade holders apart enough so that the new blade slides smoothly in. New razors came with a dummy blade installed to facilitate loading the first blade.

Problem is, many injector razors purchased on eBay or elsewhere arrive with no blade loaded. It is more difficult to load a blade with the razor in this condition, and usually the edge gets dragged across the blade stop, ruining the blade. It is then necessary to load another blade before shaving.

Rather than waste a blade, a used blade can be loaded into the injector (the blade holder, not the razor) on top of the new blades. The used blade is then loaded into the empty razor and then a new blade can be properly loaded.

Hopefully this answers your question? :blink:

--Bob

Bob and Billy. Thanks that clears up my confusion. Wasn't sure what the old blades purpose was but I get it now. Thanks

Couldn't agree more. The thickness of the injector blades is what helps them give such a great shave, IMO. It's not talked about much, but since they're thicker than DE blades, they tend to cut more "efficiently" - for me at least.

EDIT: this was in response to a post on the previous page about the thickness of the blades. For some reason the post replied to didn't get copied to this post.

Last edited:
An old thread, but informative, as I just purchased a PAL adjustable and it should arrive in a few days. My SEs have languished as I've been going through a few recently acquired open comb DE razors. I'll need to commit to a Single Edge shave month, perhaps for July.

Top Bottom