What's new

Do Alum and AS serve the same purpose?

For me the alum block used immediately after shaving and BEFORE the cold water rinse gives the best results. I still use a (non-alcohol based) aftershave as additional protection as a finishing move but those little nicks and leakers seem to heal up INSTANTLY after I roll the alum across my face.

Aftershave is literally that - anything youapply after the shave. It's traditionally taken to mean some kind of liquid you splash on, but there are so many variations and ingredients that there's no one answer to your question.

The simplest answer would be "Generally yes, more or less. Depends on what your specific skin reacts best to after a given shave.'

Although AS provides similar benefits, for me, the alum establishes a baseline for face feel. I like the antiseptic and astringent properties of the alum and its feedback (audio to determine if it was a close shave, and irritation to determine if I was too aggressive). The AS is the icing on my prepared face.

I apply an alum stick on my freshly shaved and cold-water rinsed face, then clean my razor & brush, and comb my hair. I rinse away the alum with cold water, pat my face dry and apply an AS.

Aftershave is literally that - anything youapply after the shave. It's traditionally taken to mean some kind of liquid you splash on, but there are so many variations and ingredients that there's no one answer to your question.

The simplest answer would be "Generally yes, more or less. Depends on what your specific skin reacts best to after a given shave.'

+1

For me, alum is right for nickers and weepers, otherwise it somehow irritates my skin. YMMV as usual.

Alum block and AS have some overlapping purposes but they are not redundant. Alum block is something you primarily use for health, presentability, and comfort. The substance covers any small nicks and cuts, and stops any visible or microscopic bleeding. It is supposed to kill surface bacteria. It also smooths the face, filling in any tiny pits. AS is generally heavy on the presentability. It provides a fragrance and a feeling of freshness. If it is a splash, then it is likely a heavier and quick-dissipating fragrance. If it is a cream or balm, it moisturizes. AS may or may not have disinfecting properties.

For me aftershave is only if I want to smell nice. Most of the time I just go for a splash of Witch Hazel.

Although AS provides similar benefits, for me, the alum establishes a baseline for face feel. I like the antiseptic and astringent properties of the alum and its feedback (audio to determine if it was a close shave, and irritation to determine if I was too aggressive). The AS is the icing on my prepared face.

I apply an alum stick on my freshly shaved and cold-water rinsed face, then clean my razor & brush, and comb my hair. I rinse away the alum with cold water, pat my face dry and apply an AS.

I follow the exact same regiment. If you use the original Clubman or Vanilla for an AS, it states on the label "helps heal razor nicks"

I generally use a splash or balm after every shave. If I feel like it was a particularly rough shave, I will use alum first, then a splash or balm. Most of the time I skip the alum and just go for the aftershave.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. Whether you want an alum block, witch hazel, alcohol splash, or some other AS without alcohol, it's a matter of what you enjoy and what works for you.

Try them all, in every combination, and see what floats your boat. Keep in mind that some AS products contain alum or witch hazel.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. Whether you want an alum block, witch hazel, alcohol splash, or some other AS without alcohol, it's a matter of what you enjoy and what works for you.

Try them all, in every combination, and see what floats your boat. Keep in mind that some AS products contain alum or witch hazel.

+1. YMMV. Totally depends on the particular products and what you are trying to accomplish IMO.

Instead of using the alum, why not try Witch Hazel, its acts like alum but with no burn nor will it leave a coating on your face unless you wash it off. Apply Witch Hazel, let dry, then some Nivea balm. Then I apply either one of the following AS's, Clubman, Brut, or Old Spice. Set for the day!!!

I have only used aftershave splashes after my shaves, except that I used some Thayer's witch hazel once. (The almost full bottle is in my PIF for the September restraint, if you want to join in the next few hours!) I'm planning to donate my full bottle of Weleda balm to the Sue Auction. Most of my splashes are loaded with alcohol.

That's pretty much the way I do it as well.

Top Bottom